6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

Power Window issues on my 96 EX

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mnea is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Power Window issues on my 96 EX

Thanks CraigW!

Last edited by mnea; 07-15-2008 at 08:51 PM.
Old 07-30-2008
Registered!!

hufe01 is an unknown quantity at this point

TSB #97-021

Will Honda Dealer fix this for free? I have the exact same issue.
Old 07-14-2009
Registered!!

jbsf is an unknown quantity at this point

So did you ever resolve the issue with your passenger window? I've got the EXACT same issue, and I can't figure it out!
Old 07-14-2009
Registered!!

DeesFooda is an unknown quantity at this point
Pharmacy no prescription

propecia drug, propecia in women - need propecia. propecia without a prescription, lowest propecia 1 mg propecia before and after picture. propecia prescription canada - acne propecia, en francais propecia. online order propecia. propecia by mail. cheap propecia online.
buy propecia now, reviews of propecia. canada generic propecia. ...Thanks
Old 09-08-2009
Registered!!

mathias is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jbsf
So did you ever resolve the issue with your passenger window? I've got the EXACT same issue, and I can't figure it out!
jbsf and op, did either of you resolve this issue? My '98 HX is the same -- master switch does nothing (with or without the window lock on), and the passenger switch will only go up. Checking with a voltmeter, I got no power using the master switch. Using the passenger switch, I got the following results:

blue/white is ground w/no switches pressed, and while in the up position. In the down position it is +12.

blue/red is +12 in the up position, but is NOT ground in the down position.

Is there a power window control module in these cars?
Old 09-08-2009
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

You should measure the voltage at the leads going to the problem window's motor (sorry I do not know the wire colors on this generation) The polarity between the 2 wires should reverse for the up / down operation.

You can also apply voltage to the disconnected motor to see if it moves (you may need to reverse polarity)
Old 09-08-2009
Registered!!

Originally Posted by CraigW
You should measure the voltage at the leads going to the problem window's motor (sorry I do not know the wire colors on this generation) The polarity between the 2 wires should reverse for the up / down operation.

You can also apply voltage to the disconnected motor to see if it moves (you may need to reverse polarity)
Thanks. Yeah, that is what I did. I disconnected the motor and checked for voltage and ground on each wire. In the direction that works, I get +12 on one wire and ground on the other. In the other direction, I get +12 on the correct wire, but no ground on the other. So, that would sound like a bad ground, but I need a circuit diagram to trace out the ground. I assume I have to trace it through the switch and door, and into the car somewhere.

To give a little more background, my car doors had a few dents when I got it. The passenger window worked at that time, but the regulator was shot. I got the window rolled back up, but then it wouldn't roll down again. I'm guessing during the process of rolling the window back up I blew a fusible link, or a control module if there is one, or ???

I installed the 2nd set of doors and the problem persists. So, I have swapped master switch, passenger switch, door wiring on both sides, motor and regulator. My theory is that the problem does not exist in the doors. There is a broken module, control, relay, fusible link, ground connection inside the car, or broken wire in the door jamb. But, if the same symptoms are on three different cars, I don't think it is a broken wire.

Thanks for any insight. If someone has an electrical diagram, that would be great.

Last edited by mathias; 09-08-2009 at 06:14 PM.
Old 09-08-2009

CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Here is the wiring info, It looks like the factory schematic hth.
Attached Files

Last edited by CraigW; 09-08-2009 at 06:47 PM. Reason: found schematic
Old 09-08-2009
Registered!!

Thanks a lot! So, there is a control unit, but it is built into the master switch, and only deals with the driver's window, which works fine. Armed with this diagram, I'll check out the car in the light tomorrow, and let you know what I find.
Old 09-08-2009
Registered!!

Switches on both sides ohm out correctly -- they are not the problem. Unplugged both switches, and checked continuity from plug to plug. The blue/orange wire is continuous, but the blue/yellow is not. Stranger than that, the blue/yellow wire has +12 on it on the passenger plug (w/ ignition on)! Guess I'll start tracing that wire in the daylight...

Just looking at the symptoms and the diagram, if either of those wires are broken, you will get the symptoms of the master switch does nothing, and the secondary switch will only work in one direction.
Old 09-09-2009

The control unit is for the "auto down"

Make sure both black wires from the master switch are making good ground connections.

Have you tried another master switch ??
Old 09-13-2009
Registered!!

Of course I started at the wrong end, but I found and fixed the problem this evening. In case any one needs to know, the door wiring goes down through the front quarters, through the door sills, and under the seats. I did not see any connectors all the way through the car.

My problem was the connector to the driver's door. I pulled back the rubber boot, and four wires were loose. Apparently the window wire was hitting a power wire occasionally, which was why I had +12 on it one time.

Fortunately I had pulled the connector when I bought the set of doors from the junkyard, so I was able to splice and solder on the new connector. The side benefit is that my speakers sound much better.
Old 06-16-2010
Registered!!

Docdaa008 is an unknown quantity at this point

Mathias, did you have to remove the door when you replaced the door wiring? I pushed aside the rubber sleeve covering the wires between the body of the car and the driver side door, and found a couple broken wires. So, I'm looking for a decent guide for replacing the front door wire harness, or repairing the wires that are broken individually.
Old 06-17-2010
Registered!!

civicpapi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Docdaa008
Mathias, did you have to remove the door when you replaced the door wiring? I pushed aside the rubber sleeve covering the wires between the body of the car and the driver side door, and found a couple broken wires. So, I'm looking for a decent guide for replacing the front door wire harness, or repairing the wires that are broken individually.
You have 2 choices.

1. go to a junk yard and cut off that door connector and splice it to yours.

2. or re pin it, basically you strip the good wires back and get special pins that go into the molex box and crimp them on. You will also have to get the old connector out of the molex connector. very time confusing.

You can remove the door to make it easier.
Old 01-08-2012
Registered!!

patryan4 is an unknown quantity at this point

replaced motor and regulator on passenger side window works with door open but not when I close the door any suggestions
Old 01-09-2012

Originally Posted by patryan4
replaced motor and regulator on passenger side window works with door open but not when I close the door any suggestions
Intermittent open in the wiring ?? Likely at the flexing point.
Old 01-16-2012
Registered!!

Originally Posted by CraigW
Intermittent open in the wiring ?? Likely at the flexing point.
thank you looks like the door is coming off
Old 01-16-2012
Registered!!

6th gen a/c/ problems 7.5 fuse under dash OK 10 amp fuse under hood keeps blowing