6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

fluctuating idle problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: fluctuating idle problem

Originally Posted by Jesshaines
hi, if theres anyone still out there in this long dead thread - im having this same problem with ring in wrong position. How did you end up resolving this? Ive checked three sites and all have same part. Do you know correctbpart number? Thanks
The next post of his said a gasket from the dealership solved his problem.

Here's a site with a parts catalog you can look up your exact car and get your own part numbers

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/
Old 07-28-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jesshaines is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ezone
The next post of his said a gasket from the dealership solved his problem.

Here's a site with a parts catalog you can look up your exact car and get your own part numbers

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/
right! Sorry, dumb question. I guess just couldn't believe felpro hadn't resolved this by now. Hate to be "one of those " but what's done is done. thanks
Old 08-29-2017
Registered!!

highimjoel is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sql_civic
You may have accidently mixed up the plugs that connect to the IACV and TPS. They are the same sized plug and will cause a rough idle if not plugged into the correct connectors.
you mean TPS and map sensor
Old 09-27-2017
Registered!!

HorribleHebrew is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by steveT
Okay, I know an old post. I have battled the idle issue for 6 months and replaced parts and fixed vacuum leaks like like the rest of you. Bottom line it is the IACV that is your problem. Buy an original Honda part. I bought two after market ones and problem still there.
D16Y8 motor MT place tinfoil between IAC and throttle body. Adjust idle screw to 550 RPM base idle. If that works then then the after market IAC is crap. If you do not want pay 2 to 3 hundred dollars for the OEM part then try this. Place two 1/16 to 1/8 holes in the foil where the air ports are and bolt back together. I used aluminum flashing and made an interface plate. The problem is the cheap ebay after market IAC's do not fully close which is why even with your idle screw all the way in will not reduce the idle. Yah you can retard the crap out of the timing to make it run and not throw a code but gas mileage and performance is crap. My old 1999 civic has great performance and is getting great mileage without replacing the china knock off IAC.
I only registered to pass this along since I had such a tough time and noticed too many unanswered posts on fixiing the problem. Don't get me wrong, I did have bad intake gasket, PCV hose and another vacuum line.
I changed the IAC twice with non OEM. I learned my lesson. Also tried an after market knock sensor too. Nope bad move. Pain in the neck to change and not worth doing twice.Hope this helps you folks that never got a final answer.

Oh, I had a bad IACV, (p0505 code) replaced it with a junkyard cleaned one (just scraped the carbon off the screens) and had the same problem... replaced with a cheap chinesium part... more (worse?) idle problems. will try this interface plate. Will start with 1/16th inch holes and drill larger ones if needed. Hopefully I get this thing working right.
Old 09-27-2017
Registered!!

HondaHell is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by 33Strings
I'm not sure if what I'm experiencing with my 2001 Civic is a similar problem or not. I will drive it and from time to time it will suddenly feel as though the RPM's went up even though the tachometer doesn't show any jump. At the same time I will have a large drop in power to the point I can't really get over 20-25 mph. If I park it and let it sit for about 20-30 minutes it then runs fine. It idles roughly when the problem is occurring as well. I stopped using the a/c in the car and noticed it went away but then when I drove out of town yesterday (1.5 hours round trip) it happened again even though the a/c was off. I'm not getting a check engine light. The temperature gauge on the car was fine but it smelled like something was hot when I got back. I had to get to work so I didn't have time to take a look right then. (Drove other car to work.) Any insight would be appreciated.
Sounds like you have an overheating problem. Honda is a strange beast and it will respond poorly idle rough if the coolant system fluid is low or you have air in the system. Watch Eric the Car Guys video on YouTube about Bleeding the Radiator.
I do know about his admonishments on the idle adjust screw / throttle body removal / PCM / ECU having to relearn how to idle...apparently so. The problem you seem to be having might be overheating related to low fluid / check it / drain it / replace it / bleed it / and test. A timing issue will cause overheating as well. If you have a code reader that provides LIVE DATA that is great + can really help to see what is going on with the different sensors. I just bought a Foxwell NT630 to aid me with my own IAC issues, which now I learn could be the Intake manifold gasket leaking, which is a real bitch to remove on the 1998 Honda Civic EX 1.6L SOHC VTEC...good luck / check on YouTube for ideas / post results 👣 bigfoot @ HondaHell ✌$illy Rabbit$
Old 09-27-2017
Registered!!

HondaHell is an unknown quantity at this point

Also could be a head gasket / intake gasket problem / a vacuum leak causes high RPM and loss of power. Check your vacuum pressure with a gauge at the intake manifold. It is intermittently heat related when engine is hot it loses power..what does the ECT sensor read ? Temperature is a big factor / so check / replace Thermostat / and look for any coolant leaks or bad radiator drips. Hot engines don't run properly and too much heat will boil gas / oil and water and destroy the engine. Good luck �� bigfoot @ HondaHell