7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

04 engine swap

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3can is an unknown quantity at this point
04 engine swap

I have an o4 civic with a bad engine... I pulled it out picked up another engine and when I went to set it in noticed it had a solenoid on the intake side of the head that I guess is called a vtec solenoid??... the original engine does not....if I put the new engine in without hooking up the 2 plugs will it hurt anything??... my car does not have the wiring for the 2 plugs...

Original engine

New engine
Old 10-30-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 04 engine swap

It will run without that solenoid connected to anything.....

some people would give their left one to have that engine, maybe it's hard to find in some areas
Old 10-30-2018
Registered!!

More so worried about the oiling aspect of it cause if I take that solenoid off there are oil passages behind it and someone told me it wont have the right oil pressure and will burn up if I run it without it hooked up....
Old 10-30-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 3can
More so worried about the oiling aspect of it cause if I take that solenoid off there are oil passages behind it and someone told me it wont have the right oil pressure and will burn up if I run it without it hooked up....
That person does not understand how the system works.
The VTEC valve does not control lubrication at all.
It controls a hydraulic actuation system that uses engine oil pressure as its hydraulic fluid.
In a car that is set up to use it, it is not even activated until high RPM so it spends most of its life not turned on anyway (for average drivers).

Leave the solenoid in place, the engine will run fine without it connected to anything. You might want a fresh gasket for it though since you disturbed it.
Old 10-30-2018
Registered!!

Ok that's kinda what I thought but after hearing from him I was kinda concerned lol