7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Odd Clutch Problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MckenzieP123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Odd Clutch Problem

So I was leaving work in my 03 and I rounded a sharp turn in neutral and was feeling pretty good so I popped into first and got into it a little bit (the moment I ****ed up lol) and when I hit somewhere between 3k-4K without any warning no pop out, no pop, no grind, no bump, studder or unusual noise or motion at all it was like my entire clutch system just vanished into thin air lmao. The rpms dropped and I pulled down to 2nd and nothing at all happened. So I pulled into a spot and started tinkering with **** and I noticed that when I put it in any gear and later on sometimes with it just sitting and running in nuetral this kinda deep muffled grinding noise comes from under the hood. Never heard it before. It’s not your usual loud violent grind it’s just this low muffled constant grinding and it sounds slightly different as whatever it is spins almost like the pressure changing as it goes around. A few weeks before this I noticed sometimes if I’m just sitting at an idle I get this weird raddling noise and looked around and researched it and read it’s also clutch related. The previous owner told me just the clutch was replaced 20k before I got it so his gf could driver it (another **** up lol) and he told me Honda told him that the throwout bearing was looking pretty rough even back then and it has developed a loud squeak when pushed in since I got it. Its never felt like 20k clutch either very light and takes ****ing forever to grab a damn gear lol. My car is high mileage (250k) and also purple and extremely low on custom BC coils. Don’t worry stock exhaust lol. I’ve never had a problem out of it since I got it 2 years ago except for a coolant line leak and I had to replace a cv axle because the boot got torn off by something. I was planning on doing a little rebuild and repaint with a k20a 6spd swap after I bought another back up but I kinda need my civic for atleast another 6mo or a year but before I get more off topic I figured I would ask some people with more knowledge of these cars before I order anything and start tearing things apart for no reason. The clutch has also never slipped not even slightly, not even once the time I’ve had it. Sound like just a throwout bearing? Replace clutch kit Transmission failure? Thx

Last edited by MckenzieP123; 10-24-2018 at 11:03 PM.
Old 10-24-2018
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold
Re: Odd Clutch Problem

You need to use paragraphs and spacing; as well as isolated questions, if you want help. Please also try to keep on topic and be as brief as possible.

Last edited by mac25; 10-25-2018 at 12:04 AM.
Old 10-25-2018
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

So I was leaving work in my 03 and I rounded a sharp turn in neutral and was feeling pretty good so I popped into first and got into it a little bit and when I hit somewhere between 3k-4K without any warning... or unusual noise or motion at all it was like my entire clutch system just vanished into thin air lmao. The rpms dropped and I pulled down to 2nd and nothing at all happened.

...I noticed that when I put it in any gear and later on sometimes with it just sitting and running in nuetral this kinda deep muffled grinding noise comes from under the hood. Never heard it before. It’s not your usual loud violent grind it’s just this low muffled constant grinding and it sounds slightly different as whatever it is spins almost like the pressure changing as it goes around.

A few weeks before this I noticed sometimes if I’m just sitting at an idle I get this weird raddling noise..... The previous owner told me just the clutch was replaced 20k before I got it so... and he told me Honda told him that the throwout bearing was looking pretty rough even back then and it has developed a loud squeak when pushed in since I got it. Its never felt like 20k clutch either very light and takes ****ing forever to grab a damn gear lol. My car is high mileage (250k)..."

... I figured I would ask some people with more knowledge of these cars before I order anything and start tearing things apart for no reason. The clutch has also never slipped not even slightly, not even once the time I’ve had it. Sound like just a throwout bearing? Replace clutch kit Transmission failure? Thx

Perhaps now you will get more attention.
Does it start?
Does it idle?
Does i rev in neural?
Old 10-25-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MckenzieP123 is an unknown quantity at this point

That was the most rude response I think I’ve ever got on any sight like this. If your not going to help then don’t comment. I just posted it so I’m not really worried about the amount of attention I’ve gotten. The post should be pretty self explanatory that it runs and idles fine and especially since it’s a clutch issue if it wasn’t running right then I’d say I have more than just a clutch problem so you can **** off with your smart *** bs
Old 10-25-2018
Super Moderator

Received 1,853 Likes on 1,303 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of

Relax....

Mac was simply stating your explanation is difficult to read and could be simplified. This would get you more help from others on the site.
Old 10-25-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,126 Likes on 941 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

"Dear diary: Wah"

does it feel like you can engage all the gears?
the trans is going to have to be removed in order to see what you blew up, are you able to do this?
or are you going to have to pay someone to do this? rattling could be throw out bearing or input shaft.
Does it rattle with the clutch pedal in? or with it out?
Old 10-25-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Did it break an axle or CV joint?
CV joint popped out of the trans?
Old 10-31-2018
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

Sounds like you fractured your clutch disc, that huge torque load you placed on your system when you broke the cardnal rule of a manual transmission car...

Never put it into 1st while moving..

I know you can visually look at the pressure plate via the starter hole, just be sure to disconnect the battery before pulling it out.

Spin the engine with trans in neutral and watch/listen to the plate to hear if chunks of the clutch disc are sliding around.
Old 11-14-2018
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
piano55man is a glorious beacon of lightpiano55man is a glorious beacon of lightpiano55man is a glorious beacon of lightpiano55man is a glorious beacon of lightpiano55man is a glorious beacon of lightpiano55man is a glorious beacon of lightpiano55man is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Slumpertcivic
the cardnal rule of a manual transmission car...

Never put it into 1st while moving..
I thought the cardinal rule was don't throw in reverse while going forward....unless of course your on ice and all the wheels are locked up sliding, but that's a different "how to" topic.