7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Replacement Radiator for 01 civic LX, Manual Transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BanoOmg is just really niceBanoOmg is just really niceBanoOmg is just really niceBanoOmg is just really niceBanoOmg is just really nice
Question Replacement Radiator for 01 civic LX, Manual Transmission?

First of all, I want to say THANK YOU to you saints and savages on this forum.

reddawnman, that timing belt DIY 2 was great! Thanks especially for the warning about that damn crank pulley bolt!

ezone, I love your willingness to help those that are willing to help themselves, and your sarcastic shut-downs of people that don't read the stickies or do a simple forum search!

I know there are other users that have been VERY helpful to me as I've lurked and learned, but I'm too lazy to look back over all of the posts and threads to give additional specific shout-outs right now. This forum has been very helpful to me, holy ****!

I need a replacement radiator for my 01 Civic LX with a manual transmission. What do I get?

I know Denso is the one that is in my car, and on the honda parts website (and on many other parts websites for less than 1/3 of the price Honda wants me to pay). The Honda part number is 19010-PMM-A02, but I can't find the Denso part number there. The one on Denso's site is part number 221-3220, but all of the pictures I see seem to have the transmission coolers for the automatics. I don't need that, and I don't know if having that on the radiator will make it too big to fit in my car.

I saw ezone mention that if the car has a manual trans, you can ignore the transmission cooler part of the radiator. I don't know if that meant ignore the ones that have the cooler, or just plop that radiator in and leave those dang transmission cooler nipples alone.

Can I just use any 01 civic radiator in my car? Will the Denso part 221-3220 work for me?

Thank you, thanks yous, and Hey! Thanks!

P.S.
I searched and sifted through many a thread before making a post. I apologise if I missed one with the answer, but I'm tired of reading about all these blown head gaskets and wobbly radiator caps and blown head gaskets and it's probably not the heater core and blown head gaskets and.... you get it.

Old 08-26-2018
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all
Re: Replacement Radiator for 01 civic LX, Manual Transmission?

Seemingly for every 15 automatics, one manual was sold and yes the automatic radiator fits right in a manual car so there is not a high demand aftermarket of a manual only radiator.

While I drink the Honda brand coolaid for all engine sensors, seals, timing stuff, ball joints, and bearings, radiators I usually get from Napa without worry.
Old 08-26-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

ezone, I love your willingness to help those that are willing to help themselves, and your sarcastic shut-downs of people that don't read the stickies or do a simple forum search!
Some days are worse than others. At least you get it though LOL

just plop that radiator in and leave those dang transmission cooler nipples alone
This. Most radiators available in the aftermarket will have the ATF cooler in it because it simplifies production for the manufacturers and reduces inventory needs for everyone.

Have A/T? No problem, here's your radiator. Have M/T? No problem, same radiator.

The $50 radiator is probably just as good as the $200 radiator, except
I have some old notes about not liking brands Spectra, Murray, and CSF because of crappy cap fitment issues.
Old 08-26-2018
Registered!!

BanoOmg is just really niceBanoOmg is just really niceBanoOmg is just really niceBanoOmg is just really niceBanoOmg is just really nice
Talking Re: Replacement Radiator for 01 civic LX, Manual Transmission?

Fantastic! Thanks fellas!

I'm still going to go with Denso, because it's $60-$80, and the parts store brands are all over $120 in my town right now. Woohoo!
Old 08-26-2018

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Oh yea just noticed. Welcome to the forum
Old 08-26-2018

Use Honda Type 2 coolant or equivalent, not average green or universal.
Old 08-26-2018
Registered!!

Thanks!

One more quick question:
Are radiator hose brands that important? Can I just get whatever brand hoses to replace mine? I'm not sure when or if they were ever changed before I got the car, and I might as well NOT have to replace the coolant again soon...
Old 08-26-2018
Registered!!

Thanks for the heads up. No silicates for me, thanks!
Old 08-26-2018

Originally Posted by BanoOmg
Thanks!

One more quick question:
Are radiator hose brands that important? Can I just get whatever brand hoses to replace mine? I'm not sure when or if they were ever changed before I got the car, and I might as well NOT have to replace the coolant again soon...
EPDM type rubber is best IMO. Brands, IDK. Research? Check the Gates website

Thanks for the heads up. No silicates for me, thanks!
No Borates either. Check maybe Aisin and Zerex websites and read more?

Old 08-26-2018
Registered!!

Cool, thanks. I'm checking product websites, and they all sure make their own products sound great, but I didn't have a calibrated bullshit filter yet. EPDM-seeker, ACTIVATE!

Gates and Dayco hoses use EPDM. Gates has EPDM tubes and covers. Sounds good to me!
Old 08-26-2018
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

For the two front hoses, gates should be fine.
Would highly suggest buying actual Honda for the other 4 as they have crazy bends in them.

As too the Honda Type2, “coolaid”.. your not going to go wrong using it.
Old 08-26-2018

Originally Posted by Slumpertcivic

As too the Honda Type2, “coolaid”.. your not going to go wrong using it.
Ya, after type 2 became Hondas factory fill, water pump failures dropped significantly IMO

Old 08-28-2018
Registered!!

I've replaced the radiator, and decided to throw some parts at it just in case (thermostat and fan switch) because they're easy to reach during this job and I don't know if they've ever been replaced. I don't want to buy more coolant in the next few months because I need to drain the radiator again to replace some cheap bits...

Originally Posted by Slumpertcivic
Would highly suggest buying actual Honda for the other 4 as they have crazy bends in them.
Mine only had the upper and lower radiator hoses, and the one that goes to the overflow resevoir. Are you talking about automatic trans cooling hoses, perchance?
Old 08-28-2018

Mine only had the upper and lower radiator hoses, and the one that goes to the overflow resevoir. Are you talking about automatic trans cooling hoses, perchance?
More like heater hoses and the little hoses that run around the intake and throttle body areas