7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Mysterious Cooling Issue Is Going To Be The Death of Me

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SS22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Mysterious Cooling Issue Is Going To Be The Death of Me

Hello Forum Members,

This is my first post, but I've been a Civic owner for 6 years now. I'd like to start off by saying thank you for any and all help you provide.

Background: I have an '05 DX-Value Package (1.7l). I got it with 70K. It now has 260K. It runs like a top. It's the perfect commuter vehicle for my 90 mile daily commute to work.

However, as of about a month ago it's been overheating inconsistently and I can't for the life of me figure out why.

I start off by filling the cooling system up to where the coolant is coming out of the block with the temperature sensor removed. Then, I make sure the coolant overflow is filled to the minimum level when cold. I start the car with the cap off and let it run until the fans kick on to get ride of the air bubbles. Then, I add coolant as needed to get the level correct and put the cap on.

From there, I'll get about 130 miles (135 hours) of highway driving between a day and a half before it gets hot. The coolant overflow will be completely full and coolant will be pushing out of the top of the overflow. To give the car another day or two of driving before overheating, I can remove coolant from the overflow every 45 miles. However, at around day 3 or 4, there will be very little coolant in the radiator and engine.

What I've Done:
  • Timing belt
  • Water pump
  • Radiator
  • Condensor
  • Radiator top hose
  • Radiator bottom hose
  • Trans coolant lines
  • New freon
  • New trans fuild (oem)
  • Oil and filter changed
  • New coolant
  • New temp sensor above thermostat (oem)
  • New fan sensor below thermostat (oem)
  • New radiator cap (oem and replaced twice just to make sure it wasn't a faulty cap)
  • New thermostat (oem)
  • I've also checked to see if there was any exhaust gas in the coolant to see if there's a cracked head or bad head gasket. Test came back negative.
Before the coolant gets really low from overflowing out of the coolant overflow tank, turning the heat on will help manage the temps. Once it's low, the heater is no longer affective (obviously).

The car runs like a top, without any loss of power and shifts great. If I didn't have the engine temp gauge I wouldn't know anything was wrong. Also, no smoke out of the engine bay or exhaust.

What the heck is wrong with my car? It's driving me crazy (no pun).

Thanks for your help!

-Brian
Old 08-19-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,124 Likes on 939 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all
Re: Mysterious Cooling Issue Is Going To Be The Death of Me

Headgasket, go read the sticky
Old 08-19-2018
"Honda - tried, true & tested...!"

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
brags is an unknown quantity at this point

SS22 when You say you have owned this vehicle since it had 70 K ? is that Canadian Km's or usa miles?

Soo... between 70k and now with 260 K have You ever done any kind of coollant drain and fills and if so how many?
Old 08-19-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Colin42
Headgasket, go read the sticky
Thanks. I performed the gases test like the sticky mentions and the test came back negative / no gases in the cooling system, which makes me think the head gasket is okay?
Old 08-19-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by brags
SS22 when You say you have owned this vehicle since it had 70 K ? is that Canadian Km's or usa miles?

Soo... between 70k and now with 260 K have You ever done any kind of coollant drain and fills and if so how many?
It's in miles, not km's. I performed one coolant flush at 150K miles, before the recent flush at around 257K miles.
Old 08-19-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

I performed the gases test like the sticky mentions and the test came back negative / no gases in the cooling system, which makes me think the head gasket is okay?
Wrong.
Read the first post in the thread linked here: overheating-mysterious-coolant-loss-common-causes-reference.html
Old 08-19-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,124 Likes on 939 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by SS22
Thanks. I performed the gases test like the sticky mentions and the test came back negative / no gases in the cooling system, which makes me think the head gasket is okay?
Wrong

Originally Posted by ezone
Wrong.
Read the first post in the thread linked here: overheating-mysterious-coolant-loss-common-causes-reference.html
This sticky, sorry I was on my phone
Old 08-22-2018
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

My hypothis is that in our Honda engines, once ingnition starts the exhaust gases don’t reach the edges of the cylinder before the pressure drops enough they can’t pass though. The “clean” air that was near the failed edge is what gets pushed into the water jacket as a micro bubble so there is very little actual exhaust gas in the coolant to react with the chemicals.
Old 08-22-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Slumpertcivic
gets pushed into the water jacket as a micro bubble
This is the only part that is accurate.

The color changing fluid test simply isn't sensitive enough to show extremely slow leakage. Not enough VOLUME for it to work.

By the time one of these engines is leaking bad enough to trip on this test, it should be bad enough that I would hope just about anyone could figure it out without the tester.