7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

2002 Honda Civic LX automatic vtec swap

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Joezeller98 is an unknown quantity at this point
2002 Honda Civic LX automatic vtec swap

Hello
i am a huge noob when it comes to engine swaps
i have a 2002 Honda Civic LX automatic non-vtec and I'm wanting to try my hand at swapping the engine with a vtec one. This is the one im looking at on eBay: https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F20 2218816364
will that work with an automatic transmission? And if not, is there a different auto transmission I should get?

Thanks for any help.

~joe
Old 08-05-2018
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all
Re: 2002 Honda Civic LX automatic vtec swap

Good place to start.

If your keeping your current PCM and adding a vtec controller you don’t need to worry about your transmission or O2 sensor wire harnesses or getting reflash or speed input errors.

If your going to replace the PCM with one from a EX, find a donor car and take everything.....

Old 08-06-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Slumpertcivic
Good place to start.

If your keeping your current PCM and adding a vtec controller you don’t need to worry about your transmission or O2 sensor wire harnesses or getting reflash or speed input errors.

If your going to replace the PCM with one from a EX, find a donor car and take everything.....

Thanks so much for your help!
Could you post a link with more information about this? Im not even sure what to google haha.
Can I just get a pcm from an EX or are there other parts I would need.
are there any good tutorials for installing a VTEC controller?

Last edited by Joezeller98; 08-06-2018 at 10:35 AM.
Old 08-06-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

You'll save a ton of time and money by driving with the good engine you already have.
It's not worth it for 12 hp IMO.
Old 08-06-2018
Registered!!

Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ezone
You'll save a ton of time and money by driving with the good engine you already have.
I personally think 6 of those ponies comes from the header / highflow cat on the EX
Old 08-07-2018
Registered!!

I'm pretty sure my engine is about to die soon anyway. I could just replace it with the standard engine but I thought I might just pay the same price and get a VTEC and get a little experience swapping engines.
Old 08-07-2018

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Joezeller98
I'm pretty sure my engine is about to die soon anyway
Why is that?
Good chance any other engine will have the same problems you already have.
Old 08-07-2018
Registered!!

RobertD is a jewel in the roughRobertD is a jewel in the roughRobertD is a jewel in the rough

it's a 2002 civic, just baby it, drive it, and be happy you arent walking. i've done swaps like this as a younger and dumber person. it was a great learning lesson on how not to upgrade a car. reeeeeallllly just drive it.

recommend finding a manual trans car and planning a swap that adds power if you plan to invest time, effort, and money into it. you're just going to end up with a slow turd that is hard to fix. don't do it.

people here actively encouraqge good ideas. this is not a good idea for learning, your wallet, a dependable car, etc
Old 08-07-2018
Registered!!

Why is that?
Good chance any other engine will have the same problems you already have.
For one thing it sounds like it has diarrhea
also for a while my car had an awful over heating issue and I kept running it hard even when it was past the red mark.

I didn't mean to be rude but I didn't ask why I shouldn't do this. I still want to do this I just need to know how
Old 08-07-2018
Registered!!

RobertD is a jewel in the roughRobertD is a jewel in the roughRobertD is a jewel in the rough

last time i did a swap i found a wealth of info at d-series.org , you might have a look around over there. (:

not trying to shoo- you along, i mean it in a helpful way.
Old 08-07-2018
Registered!!

Sorry I was not clear answering your original question.

Yes you can bolt that eBay engine right up to your current transmission with no issues.

You can also take your complete engine wire harness off and put that on the eBay engine and it will run just fine.

Add a vtec controller and you will get more horsepower.

What’s your next question.
Old 08-07-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by RobertD
last time i did a swap i found a wealth of info at d-series.org , you might have a look around over there. (:

not trying to shoo- you along, i mean it in a helpful way.
Ill check it out. Thank you for your help
Old 08-07-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Slumpertcivic
Sorry I was not clear answering your original question.

Yes you can bolt that eBay engine right up to your current transmission with no issues.

You can also take your complete engine wire harness off and put that on the eBay engine and it will run just fine.

Add a vtec controller and you will get more horsepower.

What’s your next question.
Is there a VTEC controller you recommend? I read somewhere that I would need something like the apexi vafc2 or neo but those are both over $200.

Also if I got an ecu from an EX would I still need the VTEC controller to take advantage of the VTEC?

Old 08-07-2018
Registered!!

The $200 route is exactly the route you should go, yes those are the common options..

You don’t need vtec controller right away so you can decide after driving awhile if you want it.

Second if you want EX pcm you going to need it flashed to your car so just pcm and flashing will cost more than $200

If you do get the EX pcm your going to have to swap one of the body harnesses off a EX and your also going to need EX header and catalytic converter along with mid pip, and last I heard the EX pcm expects a EX geared transmission or it may toss a fault code. If your state/county doesn’t have emissions testing you could just skip that and live with having the light on and slightly worse fuel economy.

The ex pcm has circuits to control vtec.

Old 08-07-2018

For one thing it sounds like it has diarrhea
Well that's descriptive AF. Why does it sound like that? Exhaust noise? Fix it.

The ex pcm has circuits to control vtec.
Wiring swap to EX may be a huge freekin PITA mess because of the dash and floor harness differences.

If I were gonna swap it (IMO for stupid simple and cheapest), I'd strip the D17A2 down to a bare block and head (long block) with oil pan and valve cover. Swap ONLY that much. Reuse the cars original manifolds, O2 sensors, wiring, EGR (if equipped) exhaust pipes, PCM, etc.

Then buy and wire up the VAFC or whatever controller you want. Or a plain toggle switch if you want. VTEC just needs one wire to run the control solenoid. If the controller has to use the pressure switch, that's just 1 or 2 more wires.