7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Low Compression after Head Gasket

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Darthinator is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs down Low Compression after Head Gasket

I just finished the head gasket in my 2002 Honda Civic EX 1.7 D17A2 (1HGEM21082L077450 if it helps) and I have weird and very low compression results. I installed a new felpro head-gasket and currently have #1: 32 #2 30 #3 like 8 #4 70. My head is true with no warparge or cracks and the block past the test and there are no cracks I put a little oil in all the cylinders and got minimal gains across the board (1-5psi) I'm wondering where I should start? Could my timing be off by 180? Could it still be the rings? Please any and all suggestion are helpful as I have full time access to a post lift (I run an auto shop and my tech is out of town for the week on vacation so any and all ideas will be tried with photos and exact results
Old 07-23-2018
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold
Re: Low Compression after Head Gasket

You made sure to open the throttle all the way while testing right?

Also test your compression tester against a known good one.
Old 07-23-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Darthinator is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the fast reply @mac25! Yes I tried both actually just in case with little difference. It's a brand new one and it worked perfectly on another vehicle today so I doubt it's the tools fault (Unfortunately) Woah a Dual cam D17?! Thats like a dream conversion/upgrade and I didn't even know that was possible like how?
Old 07-23-2018
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Darthinator
Woah a Dual cam D17?! Thats like a dream conversion/upgrade and I didn't even know that was possible like how?
I think he is referring to the second "Cam" as his name.

I would verify timing yes.

Was the head gasket replaced because of overheating?
Old 07-23-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

You did a compression test and it was scary low, how about a leakdown test to figure out where it's going?

Verify camshaft timing is correct, "by the book"
And that the cam gear bolt wasn't left loose (LOL)

Was the rockertrain pulled off of the head?

Check valve adjustments. Too tight could explain low compression, and waaay too loose might mean bent valve(s).

If your mechanic person pulled the head off and then slapped it on the bench (or floor) flat, it may have bent whatever valves were open at the time.

Felpro head gasket has had several poor reviews by members here. OEM is the way to go.
Old 07-26-2018
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Darthinator
Could my timing be off by 180?

if that is the case, you likely have damaged/bent valves now after cranking it

did you torque the head bolts in the proper pattern and to spec?
Old 07-26-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Could my timing be off by 180?
No. Because the crank-cam drive ratio is 2:1, this is not possible. Just spin the crank one more turn and the cam will be right side up. Assuming it's really in time.

If the cam gear was maybe a quarter turn off, that would cause damage. About 5 teeth or more out of time might be in the "possible damage" range.