7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Low Beam Not Working. Checked Fuses and Bulbs. Honda don't want to recall.

Old 07-02-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002ExCivic has a spectacular aura about2002ExCivic has a spectacular aura about
Low Beam Not Working. Checked Fuses and Bulbs. Honda don't want to recall.

The lowbeams on my 2002 EX Coupe don't turn on anymore. I let the car sit 2 days and they turned on for a split second but went off again and don't come back on.

I researched the issue and it seems to be a common issues for 01-02s. I checked the fuses and bulbs and they are fine, I had to wait for new bulbs to come in from Amazon and those low beams don't work either.

Low beams harness recall has been done on my car already.
I found recall number 04V086000 for the steering column switch but when I called my local dealership they said it had ended in April 2012. Honda North America confirmed this but also told me that the low beams harness recall could have failed. I'm expecting a call back to see if they want to fix it on their dime.

Besides just wait, what can I do? What should I do? Can I check more things on my car?
Old 07-02-2018
Registered!!

2002ExCivic has a spectacular aura about2002ExCivic has a spectacular aura about
Re: Low Beam Not Working. Checked Fuses and Bulbs. Honda don't want to recall.

I don't want to have to do that.
Old 07-02-2018
Registered!!

RobertD is a jewel in the roughRobertD is a jewel in the roughRobertD is a jewel in the rough

if it were me i would just replace the switch and then seriously consider doing the relay mod. this takes all the stress off the factory wiring and switch. it's AMAZING how much brighter headlights usually are after doing this, especially when you never really noticed they were dim before. https://www.danielsternlighting.com/...ys/relays.html
Old 07-02-2018
Registered!!

Thanks for the reply. I don't have much extra money in my budget. I would like to fix it with what I already have.

Wouldn't it be best to HID?
Old 07-02-2018
Registered!!

RobertD is a jewel in the roughRobertD is a jewel in the roughRobertD is a jewel in the rough

i think aftermarket HID is more for selfish people that want more light and don't care about blinding oncoming traffic. i would never recommend that.

there is a HIR upgrade that i was reading about but have never tried. i read about it on the candlepower forum where i can pick the lighting nerds brains. informative site if your're ever bored. (:
Old 07-02-2018
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

HID only works well with lenses that are designed for them, otherwise they will just spread a lot.

junkyard parts?
car-part.com
Old 07-02-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

What should I do? Can I check more things on my car?
Diagnose what's actually wrong with YOUR car instead of searching for what's been wrong with everyone elses cars?

Unplug your headlight switch connector and see if it's toasted the terminal for the red/white wire, and check if whomever did the recall on the wire might not have crimped the butt connector correctly (see if the wire will pull out of the crimped red butt connector)(also depends on which version of the recall was done)

If that doesn't reveal issues, get yourself a wiring diagram and voltmeter, and diagnose it
Old 07-02-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Diagnose what's actually wrong with YOUR car instead of searching for what's been wrong with everyone elses cars?

Unplug your headlight switch connector and see if it's toasted the terminal for the red/white wire, and check if whomever did the recall on the wire might not have crimped the butt connector correctly (see if the wire will pull out of the crimped red butt connector)(also depends on which version of the recall was done)

If that doesn't reveal issues, get yourself a wiring diagram and voltmeter, and diagnose it

I just finished doing this before reading your post haha. It's exactly what you said. Except it is in tact, the red/white wire is burnt to a crisp on one side of the butt connector.

Last edited by 2002ExCivic; 07-02-2018 at 08:44 PM. Reason: You must spread some rep around before giving some to ezone.
Old 07-02-2018

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 2002ExCivic
the red/white wire is burnt to a crisp on one side of the butt connector.
So whomever crimped that red butt connector did a poor job of it and it overheated? That really should have the recall redone (recall = no cost to yourself IMPO). I think recalls should be able to get redone again if it failed. It's certainly a huge safety issue.
Old 07-10-2018
Registered!!

They don't want to do it because of aftermarket light bulbs and wiring.
Old 07-10-2018

Originally Posted by 2002ExCivic
They don't want to do it because of aftermarket light bulbs and wiring.
That's a f'n lame excuse.

Time to DIY? Crimp another butt connector in correctly, or solder it.
Old 07-10-2018
Registered!!

Yes and the works is simple but they want to charge 130 for diagnostics regardless of actually fixing it. 135 for the actual work.

​​​​​​But if they honor fixing the recall then it's free.
Old 07-10-2018

Got pictures?
It's sounded like your cars recall was the victim of poor workmanship, I just want to see it.

Show up at your dealer with the cover already removed and the burned wire out where the manager can see it? (yes get the manager involved right away, not just the advisors)
It sometimes helps if you're a regular customer, not a 'free stuff only' person.

Check with another dealership?

Contacting Hondas customer service hotline might be an option if all else fails.