7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

D17A1 engine still runs hot after new head gasket

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tim1959 is an unknown quantity at this point
D17A1 engine still runs hot after new head gasket

Got a '02 Honda Civic LX sedan with a D17A1 engine on 5/14/18. The car is in LIKE-NEW condition, but with a 6/23 odometer reading of 184,843 miles.
The car ran great for a while, then the engine started overheating. I then noticed an overfilled coolant reservoir with a small stream of bubbles in the coolant. I assumed this was caused by exhaust gas leakage through a blown head gasket (like my last Civic, a '99). I replaced the head gasket with an aftermarket (MLS) part from Evergreen Parts on Amazon.com (NEVER AGAIN!). I inspected the head surface for excess warpage. A 0.002" feeler gauge was a go in some places, a 0.003" gauge was a no-go. I thought this was within the 0.002" service limit. I put the engine all back together with a new timing belt, tensioner, valve stem seals, (OEM) thermostat & synthetic oil. The engine ran great for a while but now the exact same symptoms are back. The engine is overheating with bubbles in the radiator neck. The electric fans work as they should. There is no white smoke from the exhaust. There is no evidence of coolant in the oil. I tested for exhaust gas in the radiator filler neck (on Sun 6/24) and it was POSITIVE. I think this means I can stop testing. Clearly, there is a leak, my only remaining question is WHERE? (e.g. head warpage, head crack, block crack). I've ordered an OEM gasket set and I plan to have a machine shop shave the head after I pull it AGAIN. Do y'all think I on the right track? Any advice for me?
Old 06-25-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,126 Likes on 941 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all
Re: D17A1 engine still runs hot after new head gasket

that's why everyone one here recommends using a honda gasket.
did you make sure to bleed the coolant properly?
Old 06-25-2018
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Tim1959
I replaced the head gasket with an aftermarket (MLS) part from Evergreen Parts on Amazon.com (NEVER AGAIN!).
Sometimes it doesn't pay to cheap out. Besides a Honda genuine (oem) headgasket is around $30-$40 on HondapartsNow.

I inspected the head surface for excess warpage. A 0.002" feeler gauge was a go in some places, a 0.003" gauge was a no-go. I thought this was within the 0.002" service limit.
Do you own a professional precision straight-edge level (cost hundreds $)? If not, then your measurements are not exact. If an aluminum engine overheats even once then there's good chance the head is warped out of spec. Did you check the block too? Even though it's far less likely due to it's thickness the block's mating surface can warp out spec as well.

There is no white smoke from the exhaust. There is no evidence of coolant in the oil.
Rarely happens with Honda engines. There's many types of headgasket leaks (link in my signature) and the most common with these engines is loss of coolant in the radiator and gain of coolant in the reservoir.

I tested for exhaust gas in the radiator filler neck (on Sun 6/24) and it was POSITIVE. I think this means I can stop testing.
Yes. However, not all types of head gasket leaks will be detected by a block tester. Since yours tested positive (blue fluid turned green or yellow) then it (combined with symptoms you described) confirm a leak is allowing exhaust gases in the coolant.

Clearly, there is a leak, my only remaining question is WHERE? (e.g. head warpage, head crack, block crack). I've ordered an OEM gasket set and I plan to have a machine shop shave the head after I pull it AGAIN. Do y'all think I on the right track? Any advice for me?
Now that's thinking with your dipstick Jimmy:

Adhere to the service manual: follow torque spec, bolt sequencing, etc..
Get the block's head bolt hole threads as clean as possible and make sure they are absolutely dry before inserting the head bolts. Spray the bolt hole threads with brake cleaner and blow them dry with compressed air.

use a light coat of oil on bolt hole threads prior to insertion. Bleed coolant per service manual afterwards. After repair drain oil, leave the drain bolt, pour in a quart of oil and let drain out immediately...this will help remove coolant that is most likely sitting at the bottom of the oil pan due to overheat. Replace oil filter, reinstall drain bolt and after a day or two of driving do another oil and filter change. Buy the cheapest oil and filters for the first change.

Last edited by Wankenstein; 06-27-2018 at 05:35 AM.
Old 06-25-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tim1959 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Colin42
that's why everyone one here recommends using a honda gasket.
did you make sure to bleed the coolant properly?
I will NEVER AGAIN deviate from using OEM parts exclusively on Honda!
My experience now trumps everyone's opinion! :-)
I bled the cooling system per the FSM.
Old 06-25-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

A 0.002" feeler gauge was a go in some places,
That's a fail IMPO.
an aftermarket (MLS) part from Evergreen Parts on Amazon.com (NEVER AGAIN!).
I use only Genuine Honda here.
tensioner,
I sure hope that was Genuine Honda too. There have been FAR TOO MANY failures of aftermarkets, and failure can be quite costly.
and it was POSITIVE. I think this means I can stop testing.
Agree, unless you want to narrow it to specific cylinder(s).
plan to have a machine shop shave the head
Look at the original finish of the block and head, they are almost as smooth as glass. Make sure your machinists equipment is good enough to duplicate the original finish, hopefully 30RA or smoother. A surface that's machined too rough can dramatically shorten the life of the new head gasket.

If you prepped surfaces with a whizzwheel or similar (die grinder and scotchbrite pads) to clean it up, you could have caused surface damage as well.