7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Bad bearing in transmission

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
spitball is an unknown quantity at this point
Bad bearing in transmission

Hello,
I have a 2001 5-speed (146K miles) with a noisy drive train, particularly in gears 1-3. I brought it to a local mechanic whose shop I got a good first impression of. He test drove the car and said I need to replace a bearing, plus it would be a good idea to replace the clutch at the same time, as it doesn't have a lot of life left. His verbal estimate for both is $1850. As I've discussed the situation with others, I'm under the impression that the car is still worth a decent amount. I like my Civic, and I'd prefer to continue driving it and not go through the hassle of selling and buying. So, my plan is to price the repair elsewhere for comparison and most likely get it fixed. I'm posting here for your comments. We all have our own situations, and I don't need to be told what to do, but it is good to hear other perspectives.

Thanks for reading...
Old 05-10-2018
Registered!!

antony1103 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Bad bearing in transmission

Probably a bad input shaft bearing. I bought my 2004 with the same problem. Seeing how old the car is, its not worth it for me to spend >$1000 to replace a $30 bearing, so I'm going to replace it myself this summer. I'll probably do the clutch as well, and any other bearing that sounds shot while i'm in there.
Old 05-10-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,124 Likes on 939 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

probably input shaft bearing as antony said.
$1850 is a fair price considering the amount of labour involved.
It's not that hard to do the clutch and swap the trans yourself. rather than rebuilding it
I did that with my gold car, new clutch + used low mileage trans.
Old 05-10-2018
Registered!!

To add what colin said, another option is to pull the transmission yourself and take it to the shop for them to rebuild it. Doing all that busy work yourself will save you a ton on labor costs.
Old 05-10-2018
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

Not common to find, but consider checking with some JDM importers and see if any have a manual tranny.

Very commonly they can install it for less than a standard shop.

If you are going to have it rebuilt, consider buying OEM bearings and seals, very common for shops to simply have a generic supplier that’s no better than cheapest parts on eBay...

Course the worst shops might still buy and use the generic kit and keep your quality parts....
Old 05-10-2018
Registered!!

Thanks for all of your replies. I should add that I'm not much of a DIY'er with cars. I replaced my headlamp this morning, but that's the level I'm OK with. I don't have the tools or know-how (or even the space) to remove a transmission. The tangible and intangible benefits of doing it myself are clear - and you guys/gals have my admiration for doing this stuff yourselves.

So, the convenience of letting the mechanic do it is probably worth the money to me. I just need to be assured they install good parts (thanks, I hadn't thought of the possibility of getting inferior parts put in). I am banking on this Civic having a lot of life left in it; at least I've driven it for 60K miles and know what it's been through for that period.

I'll check back here and update when I finally decide. Again, thanks a lot!

Last edited by spitball; 05-10-2018 at 10:41 AM.
Old 05-10-2018
Registered!!

PS - I welcome any advice on where to find a low-mileage transmission myself so I could supply it to the shop.

Checking eBay, Craigslist, etc...

Last edited by spitball; 05-10-2018 at 11:07 AM.
Old 05-10-2018
Registered!!

Google for local pick-a-parts in your area. Some should pull parts for you if you're willing to pay. The one closest to me has about a dozen manual 7th gens on their lot right now.
Old 05-10-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,124 Likes on 939 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by spitball
PS - I welcome any advice on where to find a low-mileage transmission myself so I could supply it to the shop.

Checking eBay, Craigslist, etc...
local junkyards are your best bet, they will offer a limited warranty, (like 30 or 60 days) and they might have some super low mileage parts from wrecked cars
Also they will probably deliver the trans to the shop, and if they don't have one they can get one from another yard. Did this with my old Escape

Last edited by Colin42; 05-10-2018 at 12:15 PM. Reason: added more
Old 05-14-2018
Registered!!

Notagain Honda is an unknown quantity at this point

Haha i love this repair .isb bearings $40 from Honda dealership . if you were down here close to Alabama. i could get you back up and running in about two days, for half that price lol . just got done with one in bout to sell.