7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

big headache: 2001 Civic LX auto

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bruciegongetcha is an unknown quantity at this point
big headache: 2001 Civic LX auto

Alright guys, I think I've been experiencing the dreaded auto transmission issue with this car. Original owner with ~95k miles. I know, super low mileage for it's year, but I walk and bike a lot. I did recently replace the primary + secondary o2 sensors in the hopes that it might solve the issue. Wasn't expecting it, but I tried to remain optimistic. Of course, as suspected, it didn't fix what I'm now certain is the transmission issue.

The primary o2 sensor was torched, I mean it was almost non existent. I noticed a major improvement after replacing them, but the car still drops to 2nd and stays there after ~15 minutes of driving. Up until now, this has been fine for me since I primarily drive the car two and from work, but due to life circumstances it's now become an issue. I need to get this fixed and I'm looking for some insight/wisdom.

I don't want to buy a new-to-me car, and honestly, with my student loan debt, I can't really afford to. I know this is like one of the worst cars for the used market so yeah... sucks.

I'm handy enough to replace the struts and have done a few other projects on the car, but honestly, I don't know much about autos.

Guys, I'm kinda desperate for some guidance so anything you got, I'll listen.

Thanks,
b
Old 05-05-2018
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of
Re: big headache: 2001 Civic LX auto

First thing to try is a 3x3 ATF drain and fill. Read through some of these: https://www.google.com/search?safe=s....0.kd9F_fO7uCA

Do a drain and fill only..do not use a flush machine.

You can use the correct weight Honda ATF or Valvoline Maxlife (full synthetic) or Castrol MVI (multi Vehicle Import).
Old 05-06-2018
Registered!!

Forgot to mention, I actually already did a full drain and replace with official Honda tx fluid.
Old 05-07-2018

Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

If 7th gen has them you could try cleaning the shift solenoids + gasket screen(s) with brake cleaner spray. Also ensure that you have the correct amount of ATF per service manual.

Other than that take it to a reputable transmission shop for estimate.
Old 05-07-2018
Registered!!

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
NDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of light

Do you have any OBDII codes stored or CEL on or flashing D light in the dash?
What has been the ATF maintenance history - any drain and fills at all?
Old 05-07-2018
Registered!!

Firstly, really appreciate the feedback.

Alright, I tried to reply regarding the flush/fill of the transmission fluid over the weekend. Hopefully this one gets through. I actually did the flush/fill with OEM certified Honda fluid a couple of years ago after I'd been experiencing the issue for only a few months.

The codes I have are: P0730 and P1361. Of course, these codes are from before the o2 sensor replacement. I suspect one is related to the primary o2 sensor, while the other may be the transmission.
Old 05-08-2018

"The codes I have are: P0730 and P1361. Of course, these codes are from before the o2 sensor replacement. I suspect one is related to the primary o2 sensor, while the other may be the transmission."

P0730: gear ratio issue. Not good. Pull shift solenoids and check screens for metal shards. Clean screen and solenoids with brake cleaner spray while part is removed for inspection.

Last edited by Wankenstein; 05-08-2018 at 07:37 AM.
Old 05-08-2018

As a last resort at your own discretion and risk before a total transmission rebuild ( if needed) you can try a can of Seafoam Transtune to hopefully clean out the internal screens and valve bodies. Will it work you ask? Well, I don't know..never used it but, if a shop diagnose it as a rebuild required then you have little to lose by trying it other than $15 for Transtune fluid and $20 or so for Valvoline Maxlife ATF.
Old 05-08-2018
Registered!!

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm biting the bullet and taking it to the pros. Send some positive vibes my way if you got some to spare.

Lastly, say I get the transmission fixed/replaced, anything I can do aside from a drain/refill every 30k?
Old 05-08-2018

Originally Posted by bruciegongetcha
.Lastly, say I get the transmission fixed/replaced, anything I can do aside from a drain/refill every 30k?
Yes...Pray to the transmission gods.
Old 05-09-2018
Registered!!

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
NDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of light

Use Honda DW-1 ATF and drain and fill every 3rd or 4th oil change to keep the ATF new.
Recommend to use the 04-05 larger internal ATF screen if you are going to rebuild your trans.
Replace rear main seal while in there?
You can also install an external ATF filter in the return ATF line like the Magnefine for extra filtration.
Old 05-09-2018
Registered!!

Ha ha will do. I'll hopefully have this little guy fixed up in the next couple weeks.
Old 05-14-2018
Registered!!

Notagain Honda is an unknown quantity at this point

Im pretty sure your transmission is About to die . don't buy a junkyard one . but a rebuild is about the best thing. Sorry bro!