7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Refab’d engine break in period issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Joenawrockis is an unknown quantity at this point
Refab’d engine break in period issues

So in a nut shell this is what’s going on I did all the replacing and disassembling my newly refabricated engine head back on my block I took my time swapped out every and any o ring and gasket possible so I’m out driving it last night 15 miles or so I experience overheating tried blowing hot air in from the vents never got warm air , also I had filled up about 3.5 qts of oil before I left the garage my specifics for mine say 3.7 but when I was stopped engine off dipstick read basically nothing I was one shocked two even more shocked to see no signs of an external leak literally another 3.5 qts to something registered what’s goin on here lol also I’m sure the power steering belt needs tension adjusted due to how squeaky that became as I was stopped and restarted my engine
Old 04-10-2018
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all
Re: Refab’d engine break in period issues

Unbolt your mid pipe at front and see if it’s full of oil.

Very possible just still had big air bubble in coolant system.
Old 04-10-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Slumpertcivic
Unbolt your mid pipe at front and see if it’s full of oil.

Very possible just still had big air bubble in coolant system.
ok still a lil novice so I gotta ask mid pipe like I need a more specific. Location
Old 04-10-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,126 Likes on 941 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

pipe after exhaust manifold
Old 04-11-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Colin42
pipe after exhaust manifold
oh so you’re referring to my exhaust essentially ok when I do and be say there is oil in there what can I conclude or what steps do I have to take to get this car driveable again
Old 04-11-2018
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

Well my comment was based on your statement there was no external leaks. Being that the engine should be completely clean as it was just rebuilt, losing a gallon of oil through anything but the drain plug would leave a lot of drips.

Unless it was going out the exhaust and being burnt up in the catalytic converter.

Being as it was just rebuilt, your exhaust pipe bolts should not be rusted in place yet so two quick spins on those 12mm bolts and you can see if it’s coated.

As too reasons oil in exhaust, improper type/installation oil control rings, valve guild seals, pvc valve stuck are common.

Where did you get the replacement engine from? Usually they come with a warranty and that kind of oil consumption should qualify.
Old 04-11-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Slumpertcivic
Well my comment was based on your statement there was no external leaks. Being that the engine should be completely clean as it was just rebuilt, losing a gallon of oil through anything but the drain plug would leave a lot of drips.

Unless it was going out the exhaust and being burnt up in the catalytic converter.

Being as it was just rebuilt, your exhaust pipe bolts should not be rusted in place yet so two quick spins on those 12mm bolts and you can see if it’s coated.

As too reasons oil in exhaust, improper type/installation oil control rings, valve guild seals, pvc valve stuck are common.

Where did you get the replacement engine from? Usually they come with a warranty and that kind of oil consumption should qualify.
ok well here’s the deal idk if it was simply the night time or you know the engine oil completely being clean I pulled out the dipstick and see I’m way past full and so I pulled out plug and brought it down to invetween the two holes and yet my power steering belt very squeaky yet and I’m sure I’m still not getting any heat to come through the cab , possibly my thermostat or water pump is faulty? As far as the head was someone my grandpa had completely top to bottom inside and out redo his 72 challenger all what was wrong was one bent valve which he replaced and re surfaced a few other things cost me 250 for about 4 days
Old 04-11-2018

Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Have you bled the air out of the coolant? Having the nose of the car elevated will help eliminate air bubbles
Old 04-11-2018
Registered!!

Have you bled the air out of the coolant? Having the nose of the car elevated will help eliminate air bubbles
no lol how do I go about this
Old 04-12-2018
Super Moderator

Received 1,848 Likes on 1,300 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Joenawrockis

no lol how do I go about this
-Park the car on a slope so the front is higher than the rear. Wait until the engine is completely cool before beginning.
-Pop the hood and take the radiator cap off (again, make sure the engine is completely cooled off).
-Start the car and turn the heat and fan all the way on.
-Fill up the radiator as necessary. Let the car idle until the radiator fans kick on (20-30 minutes or so).

Doing this will ensure there is no air trapped in the system.
Old 04-12-2018

Originally Posted by BrotatoChip
-Park the car on a slope so the front is higher than the rear. Wait until the engine is completely cool before beginning.
-Pop the hood and take the radiator cap off (again, make sure the engine is completely cooled off).
-Start the car and turn the heat and fan all the way on.
-Fill up the radiator as necessary. Let the car idle until the radiator fans kick on (20-30 minutes or so).

Doing this will ensure there is no air trapped in the system.
this but it's better if you can get the car on ramps or jackstands in the front
hopefully you haven't screwed anything up driving around with air pockets in the system
Old 04-12-2018
Registered!!

this but it's better if you can get the car on ramps or jackstands in the front
hopefully you haven't screwed anything up driving around with air pockets in the system
brotato thanks for the procedures on going about doing this and what coulda possibly been dammaged with said air pockets like I said I’ve literally only drove 15 miles then I noticed I was getting hot then stopped and towed it back
Old 04-13-2018
Super Moderator

Received 1,848 Likes on 1,300 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of

If the temperature gauge never got all the way to "H" IMO I would just fill the coolant back up, get the air out, and try again. But you said the oil was way overfilled, are you sure it wasn't full of coolant? That would tell me the head gasket is leaking, maybe the head is warped, or possibly the head bolts were not torqued properly.