7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Locked out while running

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TommyV is an unknown quantity at this point
Locked out while running

2001 4dr LX - seems to have an aftermarket keyless remote. If I get out of it and leave the key in the ignition, motor running, it locks me out every time. I did some searching and couldn't find a relevant thread. Can someone point me in the right direction to fix this?
Old 04-05-2018
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Locked out while running

Have a flat blank key cut, and carry it with you. $6

In 01, only EX had factory keyless.
Old 04-05-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by CraigW
Have a flat blank key cut, and carry it with you. $6

In 01, only EX had factory keyless.
Oh yeah, already done that, just looking for a better solution.
Old 04-05-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,126 Likes on 941 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

look for non-factory wiring under the dash remove all of it and fix any hacked up factory wiring
Old 04-05-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Colin42
look for non-factory wiring under the dash remove all of it and fix any hacked up factory wiring
Thanks, I would like to keep the keyless remote while solving this issue, maybe that's not possible. Is the aftermarket module usually hiding under the dash?
Old 04-05-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,126 Likes on 941 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

under the dash or behind a kick panel.
do you still have the aftermarket fob? you'll need it to re-program the module as well as the instructions, once you find the module you can get the model number and you should be able to find a pdf of the instructions online.
Old 04-05-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Colin42
under the dash or behind a kick panel.
do you still have the aftermarket fob? you'll need it to re-program the module as well as the instructions, once you find the module you can get the model number and you should be able to find a pdf of the instructions online.
Yes, still have the aftermarket fob and it works fine. But the car locks the doors as soon as you put it in gear or if you get out and close the door!! ) It's my son-in-law's car, so I get the call to come get the door unlocked if he locks them in and doesn't have the spare key and/or daughter is at work. I'm getting pretty good at it! I've got a stainless rod that's about 36 in long that I put a custom bend in to push down the window button. Of course then we have to fight the window to get it back up!!! LOL!
Old 04-05-2018
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Most aftermarket keyless entry modules can be programmed to do stuff like that. Like Colin said find the module and model number and look for instructions online.

My last one had a "Pit Stop Mode" which allowed me to remove the key and it kept the car running so I could lock the doors and run into a store or something.
Old 04-05-2018
Registered!!

Originally Posted by GolNat
Most aftermarket keyless entry modules can be programmed to do stuff like that. Like Colin said find the module and model number and look for instructions online.

My last one had a "Pit Stop Mode" which allowed me to remove the key and it kept the car running so I could lock the doors and run into a store or something.
Thanks for all the replies! This gives me something to do while I wait for the Time-Sert kit to repair the tensioner bolt hole. Some nice person stripped it out and then red loctited it to cover their mistake for a while. Wobbling tensioner leads to belt walking and getting chewed up. Fortunately I caught it before it broke. Some people, sheesh!
Old 04-05-2018
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

I am wondering why the car get abandoned with the engine running so often..

Sounds like a need for a hide-a-key.