7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

2004 civic lx : 3 of 4 power windows not working

Old 03-04-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Carfixit is an unknown quantity at this point
2004 civic lx : 3 of 4 power windows not working

hello,

I have a 2004 honda civic lx and the only power window that works is the drive side window. Not only do the window switches on main switch on driver arm rest not acitvate the other windows, even the window switchs on the other doors themselves do not work.

when the switches are activated there is no window motor sound. Its like no signal is getting the other doors.

it is not the fuses under the dash. All fuses are correct spec, 20 amp, and they are not blown. The 7.5 relay fuse for the power windows is not blown either.

Also, i replaced the main switch with a proper part number brand new one thinking the main switch was bad but that was not the case. Even with the new switch i still have the same problem.

All wires in the molex connector that connect to the switch are not cut and are all present and secure in the connector.

I did do the reset procedures and that did not fix it either.

i have not removed any door panels and checked the window motors. I am wanting to hopefully continue doing any kind of testing that i can without removing the door panels for now. There is no window motor sound on any of the 3 doors when the switches are activated.

So i have three questions:

1 - is that 7.5 amp fuse the relay for the power windows? I thought relays were those square looking things. Would changing out the square relays fix this?

2 - Which wire in the connector can i short out to make the other three windows go up or down? I seen a youtube vid where a guy shorted out the green/white wire in his honda civic that had the same problem and he shorted out a green/white wire to ground and he was able to activate the windows, which he said this test proved there is a short in his main switch and it had to be replaced. I tried it on mine but my green/white was not in same poistion as his and i blew a 20 amp fuse. I just want to do that test to see if the windows can go up and down, even though i know the switch is not bad.

3 - Any suggestions on what the issue may be and how to fix it?

Old 03-04-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2004 civic lx : 3 of 4 power windows not working

Kiddie lockout switch is pushed? That will disable 3 windows
Old 03-05-2018
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Carfixit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ezone
Kiddie lockout switch is pushed? That will disable 3 windows
are u referring to the round window lock button above the 4 window switches? Of corse that is not in engaged/locked position.
Old 03-05-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Carfixit

are u referring to the round window lock button above the 4 window switches? Of corse that is not in engaged/locked position.
Yes. You wouldn't have been the first to miss it.

I'd say it's time to get a good wiring diagram and voltmeter/test light and do some sleuthing.

There's 2 solid black wires in the master switch connector.
One in #4 cavity, other in #8 cavity......
Both are supposed to be grounds.
Are they?
If ground is missing at #8, that's the same as the kiddie lock being engaged