7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Hunting Down Coolant Leak

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2018
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
shark13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Hunting Down Coolant Leak

I have a 2005 Civic VP that I'm certain is losing coolant. The problem isn't bad when I'm driving around town but for work twice a week I drive from sea level, over 6600 feet, and back down...and then do it again to return home. This is especially when I notice my heat increase if I don't add coolant before the trip.

Will a pressure check of the coolant system give me any clue whether my civic is leaking from the head gasket?

Another problem with the coolant loss I've noticed is that when I turn the heater on the problem becomes worse. I've noticed that after running with the heater on the fluid loss is more significant. The thing is I don't have any coolant leaking on the passenger side.

It seems to me as if each time I turn on the heater, which is possibly empty from leaking, a chunk of the coolant in the system is directed to the heater thus causing the amount of fluid in the system to be lowered and consequently causing the engine temperature to rise.

Any thoughts?
Old 02-11-2018
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Hunting Down Coolant Leak

Will a pressure check of the coolant system give me any clue whether my civic is leaking from the head gasket?
Only if you don't find any leaks on the outside of the engine

Read everything in the first two posts of this thread, including watching the videos

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3...reference.html
Old 02-11-2018
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of
Re: Hunting Down Coolant Leak

Originally Posted by shark13
I have a 2005 Civic VP that I'm certain is losing coolant. The problem isn't bad when I'm driving around town but for work twice a week I drive from sea level, over 6600 feet, and back down...and then do it again to return home. This is especially when I notice my heat increase if I don't add coolant before the trip.
Any external leaks?
Any loss of coolant in the radiator combined with gain of coolant in the reservoir? Check each morning for the next few days. If you have troible visually reading the resevoir then use a bendable stick inside the reservoir.

Possibly. A pressure test is great way to find an external leak: leaking near a clamp, slit or hole in radiator hose, leaking radiator, etc..
If your car's coolant system doesn't have an exterior leak then a pressure test may possibly discover an internal leak by allowing pressure tester to hold pressure for several hours and then removing the spark plugs to check for coolant on them. An internal leak may cause a cylinder(s) to fill with coolant via a breach in the headgasket. Do not pressure test above the recommended coolant system psi rating on radiator cap or within the service manual.

A much better and quicker test is to blow 150 psi of compressed air into each spark plug hole one at a time while each cylinder is at TDC. Any leaks (head gasket breach) will show up as bubbles in the radiator neck.

Can also try a Block Test but that only confirms a leak if exhaust emmissions are getting into the coolant. A block test will not find all types of head gasket breaches.

Another problem with the coolant loss I've noticed is that when I turn the heater on the problem becomes worse. I've noticed that after running with the heater on the fluid loss is more significant. The thing is I don't have any coolant leaking on the passenger side.
Check the driverside as well..use an LED flashlight and feel with your fingers (if not too hot). Could be a tiny leak from the heater core under the dash. Check at operating temp, idle, climate control to max heat and fan off.

It seems to me as if each time I turn on the heater, which is possibly empty from leaking, a chunk of the coolant in the system is directed to the heater thus causing the amount of fluid in the system to be lowered and consequently causing the engine temperature to rise.
If your losing about a 1/4 cup or more a day and there are no external leaks it points to a possible head gasket issue.