7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Possible 2nd Head Gasket Failure

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
honkeydonkey has a spectacular aura abouthonkeydonkey has a spectacular aura about
Possible 2nd Head Gasket Failure

Hey guys,

Replaced my head gasket at 200k after coolant resorvior was completely full and rad was low, and no heat at idle. Shop fixed the head gasket and machined the head, all that stuff.

Now I'm having the exact same issues as before. Rad cap and thermostat are all a year old and all hoses are also new.

New mechanic says I cannot replace a head gasket twice because the tolerances in the head have changed and the compression becomes to great for the piston rings to handle. Recommends new engine if HG is blown again.

Thoughts?
Old 12-20-2017
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of
Re: Possible 2nd Head Gasket Failure

To confirm what mechanic is saying do a dry and wet compression test. What he stated may or may not be correct but,
as far as the cylinder head there are indicators on it that cannot be milled below..so it has a finite usage in that regard.

With 200k on it probably better off with a lower mileage replacement.
Old 12-20-2017
Registered!!

REXAZZ2 has a spectacular aura aboutREXAZZ2 has a spectacular aura about

were is the coolant going ?
3 places possible ...the ground ...the oil it will look milky or ....into the cylinder and that should show up as white smoke out the exhaust

Any idea if they replaced the actual head bolts ?
Some cars use stretch bolts and they are a one time use
Old 12-20-2017
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by REXAZZ2
were is the coolant going ?
3 places possible ...the ground ...the oil it will look milky or ....into the cylinder and that should show up as white smoke out the exhaust
With these engines it pretty rare to have the type (there's several) of head gasket breach that would allow oil to mix with coolant. Coolant entering cylinders to a degree where it burns off as white smoke from exhaust seems to be uncommon as well. Typically, an HG breach manifest itself as I stated initially and what you described: coolant loss in radiator with coolant gain/overflow in reservoir. However, it all depends if and where the breach is located on the headgasket. Cracked cylinder head or block is also a possibility but not as common as headgasket issue.

Tpes of headgasket failures: http://www.agcoauto.com/content/news/p2_articleid/200 and http://www.aa1car.com/library/gasket_failure.htm

Originally Posted by REXAZZ2
Any idea if they replaced the actual head bolts
Some cars use stretch bolts and they are a one time use
Can re-use..not stretch bolts.

Here's something you can do yourself that may correct the issue barring it's not a headgasket breach:
* Remove the reservoir and hose leading from the radiator neck to the reservoir. Blow out the hose with compressed air to ensure it's not clogged. Clean out the reservoir itself to ensure it's opening is not impeded.
Old 12-21-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

New mechanic says I cannot replace a head gasket twice
Strike ONE
because the tolerances in the head have changed
Strike TWO
and the compression becomes to great for the piston rings to handle.
STEEEEEEERIKE THREEEEEEE!

OMFG will these kids ever learn ??
Blanket assumptions above are incredibly incorrect.
And there are specs to figure out if the head can be reused or not.
Old 12-21-2017
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,440 Likes on 1,196 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

^ translation:
have them check against the head specs, if still within tolerance, go ahead with gasket change.

the hard part will be to know what caused the 2nd one... not milled correctly?
Not torqued correctly?

gasket brand?
Old 12-21-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
^ translation:
Haha thanks. It may have been very late (or very early) and I may have been delirious
Old 01-01-2018
Registered!!

nsrhonda89 has a spectacular aura aboutnsrhonda89 has a spectacular aura about

How much km do you have on your engine? I think you need to get another mechanic. I had my head machined twice when I did my head gasket. The first guy did a shitty job and you can see lines on the head surface. Second shop did an amazing job and it had a mirror finish. I have about 95K on the engine since I did the head gasket around 205k. You can pull a head off a junk car if you are worry about the current one.

Nippon head gasket Honda
arp head stud
crower camshafts stage 1
valve job
polish intake/exhaust ports
replace rad
cooling fan switch
Old 11-09-2018
Registered!!

RobertD is a jewel in the roughRobertD is a jewel in the roughRobertD is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by honkeydonkey
New mechanic says I cannot replace a head gasket twice because the tolerances in the head have changed and the compression becomes to great for the piston rings to handle. Recommends new engine if HG is blown again.

Thoughts?
This mechanics logic makes no sense. Are you sure that's what he said?

​​​​​​Doesn't sound like a head gasket issue to me. Nobody here uses the coolant combustion gas test kit? IE the little vial that changes color. Is that too easy?
Old 11-09-2018
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,122 Likes on 937 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Honda engines fail a little differently, most common tests don't show the failure.
this test works everytime