7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

'05 Honda Civic: brakes ground and failed in icy

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Simhamuka is an unknown quantity at this point
'05 Honda Civic: brakes ground and failed in icy

'05 Honda Civic: brakes ground and failed in icy conditions

In light snow and low speeds, the front brakes on my 2005 Honda Civic EX (manual transmission) ground and failed. I steered into the oncoming lane to avoid hitting the car in front of me (fortunately no oncoming traffic). Checking, I see slush built up all around the front tire though it's dark now and hard to tell where it built up.

Have there been any problems with the ABS on this model?
Old 12-15-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: '05 Honda Civic: brakes ground and failed in icy

Sounds like you were probably going too fast for the conditions (slick/snow/ice), had no traction (maybe along with poor tread condition???), and the ABS system did exactly what is designed to do.
Old 12-15-2017
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,122 Likes on 937 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Do you have proper snow tires?
When you say the brakes failed, did the pedal go all the way to the floor like a line popped?
Old 12-15-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Colin42
Do you have proper snow tires?
When you say the brakes failed, did the pedal go all the way to the floor like a line popped?
I think the issue wasn't the brakes, because the ABS did engage. I've had the car two years, but this was my first experience with ABS -- weird sensation! The brakes grew heavy and ground loudly. I was able to steer. But I didn't stop.

Since I now know that's what ABS feels like (bizarre, by the way) then the issue is simpler -- a skid. Which is explained by looking at the slushy-ice build up around my tires.
I grew up in Michigan, where snow tires are the norm, but this is Maryland. So I think four new all-season tires are in order. My mechanic mentioned that I should get new tires in a few months, but I'd say now would be the time.
Old 12-15-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Sounds like you were probably going too fast for the conditions (slick/snow/ice), had no traction (maybe along with poor tread condition???), and the ABS system did exactly what is designed to do.
The ABS did do what it was supposed to do, now that I know what ABS feels like. You're correct, the lack of braking was due to a skid. I'd gone from one visibly wet road that was well-salted to another visibly wet road ... where the salt truck sprayed me several minutes after the near-incident. The drastic change in conditions was not apparent because we were early into the snow fall.
Old 12-16-2017
Registered!!

REXAZZ2 has a spectacular aura aboutREXAZZ2 has a spectacular aura about

If you can afford get winter rubber for winter and a summer tire for summer
I am very fond of the Hercules Avalanche X-Treme
They have a nice open tread for snow and slush
Old 12-17-2017
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all

If you pull all the resonator box and tubes out, I am sure you could put a 50 pound bag of salt /sand on top of the transmission for better traction.

Maybe even two..