7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Flywheel snapped??? Clutch not engaging and car won't start at the same time.

Old 12-08-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mckenneth is an unknown quantity at this point
Flywheel snapped??? Clutch not engaging and car won't start at the same time.

Hello.
I just got a used 2004 civic non vtec 5 speed manual. My brother was driving it and it looks like he burned out the clutch. From what I know there were no loud noises or breaking sounds. But there was some kind of a squeak before this, when changing gears 1-3rd gear. I thought it was the throw out bearing. The clutch was about 70-80 percent gone when i got itso I figured it would go out eventually on him as a new driver. And there was the burning clutch smell and I can push the car easily in any gear. Sounds like a simple clutch job right?

this is all fine. But at the same exact time as the clutch went out, the car is also not starting. The starter sounds like it's turning, but the belts in the engine aren't moving a mm. The engine won't turn even slightly.

I immediately took off the timing belt cover and checked that the belt hasn't snapped. It looks good and like it has been changed recently.

I'm puzzled here. The only thing I can think of is the previous owner got a ridiculously cheap lightweight flywheel and it literally snapped.

I'm about to take the car to a shop for a clutch and flywheel replacement. But im worried the engine may be locked or dead. The car has 167000k miles on it .

what do you think this is? How can I make sure the engine is alright?

other thing I can think of is what happened in my Honda xr650l and the aftermarket sprocket ate through the teeth on the output shaft, because the shaft metal was softer. This cant happen to a car right?
Old 12-08-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Flywheel snapped??? Clutch not engaging and car won't start at the same time.

Clutch disc probably exploded into a huge ball of cat fur.......which may now be obstructing the starter gear (bendix) movement.

Pull the starter out and take a look, or pull the inspection plate off the bellhousing bottom and see if there's wads or material hanging there

If you seriously think the engine may be locked, put a 19mm socket on the crank pulley bolt and try to turn it counterclockwise.
Old 12-08-2017
Registered!!

Re: Flywheel snapped??? Clutch not engaging and car won't start at the same time.

I hope you're right and that's not a joke lol.

How can I get to the crankshaft? Its literally wedged up against the wheel well.

pulling out the starter sound alike a good idea, maybe I can turn the flywheel bit by bit with a screwdriver. But lm guessing the starter is wedged deep into the engine bay

Has this ever happened to anybody?

Originally Posted by ezone
Clutch disc probably exploded into a huge ball of cat fur.......which may now be obstructing the starter gear (bendix) movement.

Pull the starter out and take a look, or pull the inspection plate off the bellhousing bottom and see if there's wads or material hanging there

If you seriously think the engine may be locked, put a 19mm socket on the crank pulley bolt and try to turn it counterclockwise.
Old 12-08-2017
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,122 Likes on 937 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

there's a little access hole for the crank bolt in the fender liner. either crank the wheels all the way to the left or pull the driver's front wheel off.

starter is on top of the trans, pretty easy to get to. pull off the air intake tube to get better access.
Old 12-08-2017
Registered!!

Thanks, I'll give this a try. Should it be easy to turn? Also, I'm stupid for asking this, but should I be turning it clockwise or counterclockwise. Looking from the driver's side

Originally Posted by Colin42
there's a little access hole for the crank bolt in the fender liner. either crank the wheels all the way to the left or pull the driver's front wheel off.

starter is on top of the trans, pretty easy to get to. pull off the air intake tube to get better access.
Old 12-08-2017
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,122 Likes on 937 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

counter clockwise as ezone mentioned.
pull the spark plugs to make it easier to turn
Old 12-08-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mckenneth

How can I get to the crankshaft? Its literally wedged up against the wheel well.
I'd take the plastic shield out of the way.......then you can see the crank pulley and AC stuff without obstruction

(this pic was not taken with the intent of showing the crank pulley but it's all there)

Old 12-09-2017
Registered!!

REXAZZ2 has a spectacular aura aboutREXAZZ2 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Mckenneth
I hope you're right and that's not a joke lol.

pulling out the starter sound alike a good idea, maybe I can turn the flywheel bit by bit with a screwdriver. But lm guessing the starter is wedged deep into the engine bay

Has this ever happened to anybody?
I had one of the damper springs let go in a brand new clutch and it nearly launched me into the car ahead of me at a traffic light
I assume the the spring jammed between the disc and the flywheel to crankshaft bolts

Also possible the clutch release bearing is stuck on the shaft or what remains of the release bearing