7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Compare '03 Civic with '90 Accord maintenance interval

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TheTomF is an unknown quantity at this point
Compare '03 Civic with '90 Accord maintenance interval

My wife (then girlfriend) bought a new 1990 Accord back in the day. I maintained it for 195,000 miles and roughly 15 - 18 valve adjustments. Last week I picked up an '03 Civic LX with the 1.7 liter single cam. I was astounded to see the valve lash adjustment interval. It has 112K and today I changed plugs and did a careful valve adjustment. All valves were roughly .002" on the loose side. The question is what's different about the engine design or materials that an '03 Civic can go over 100K between adjustments and the '90 Accord needed them every 10K? The Accord 2.2 liter engine was a twin cam but used the same rocker arm, screw and locknut adjustment system as the Civic.

Last edited by TheTomF; 11-18-2017 at 10:16 PM. Reason: inadvertent Enter key before completion
Old 11-19-2017
Registered!!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Slumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to allSlumpertcivic is a name known to all
Re: Compare '03 Civic with '90 Accord maintenance interval

Better use of custom blended metals... newer valve stems & rocker arms don’t have too deform/wear down like they used too.

Same reason a lot of aftermarket parts are not as good as OEM spec.. it’s not the part design itself that’s inferior because usually they just copy it, but they rarely copy the grade of material used.
Old 11-19-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Compare '03 Civic with '90 Accord maintenance interval

Be glad some things have improved over the years.