7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Noise coming from driverside under the hood

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ShadowDaisy82 is an unknown quantity at this point
Noise coming from driverside under the hood

I have a 2005 Honda Civic EX Special Edition Coupe, automatic with 150,300 miles on it.

I started my car for work today and heard a knocking type noise coming from under the hood on the driver side, I drove this car 2 days ago and did not hear this noise then nor did my car feel any different while driving.
I had the battery and alternator replaced not to long ago (October 20th,2017), Oil was changed in September.

Any ideas as to what this may be.

Thank you.
Old 11-06-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Noise coming from driverside under the hood

Could start with using a stethoscope/long screwdriver/long wooden dowel held to your ear to try to narrow down the area or pinpoint the source of the noise....

Could remove accessory drive belts and run engine to see if noise goes away, if it goes away when the alt/AC belt is removed then hand-spin check compressor pulley and alt pulley listen for noise

if noise is still present with both belts removed, then take off upper timing cover and see if the tensioner spring broke
Old 11-06-2017
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,148 Likes on 802 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Does the sound change with engine speed or does it stay constant?
Old 11-06-2017
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,126 Likes on 941 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Kind of sounds like part of the belt is flapping around, or maybe something stuck in the cooling fans?

You'll have to dig deeper, ezone and riceboy had a bunch of good suggestions to help locate the noise
Old 11-06-2017
Registered!!

The noise is constant couldn't tell if it sounded different with engine speed as I was afraid to drive it.
Old 11-06-2017
Administrator
Administrator

xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

You can blip the throttle from the engine bay
Old 11-06-2017

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ShadowDaisy82
The noise is constant couldn't tell if it sounded different with engine speed as I was afraid to drive it.
Just rev the engine up a little bit and listen if (and note how) the noise changes.
Not drive it.
Old 11-07-2017
Registered!!

Okay I'll give that a try tomorrow. Hope it's not a engine rod knocking though it didn't sound as loud in front of the engine
Old 11-07-2017
Registered!!

The first thing I checked today was the oil level and the oil was at or just below the minimum dot so I added a quart of oil and started my car after a few minutes and the noise I heard was barely there and now I don't hear it I'm not sure if this fixed it I'm going to drive it today again. I just had the oil changed in early September is it normal to lose or burn a half quart of oil in two months? I have no leaks anywhere
Old 11-07-2017
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,126 Likes on 941 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

How many miles have you driven since the oil change?
With mileage you have on the car its not unusual to be burning oil, you should start checking your oil more frequently.
Old 11-07-2017
Administrator
Administrator

It's eerily similar to the noise I had, which ended up being rod knock. That's why I asked if it was constant or if it changed with engine RPM. Have a listen at what I had. Only difference between yours and mine was that I heard it when the engine was under load. Yours does it at idle.

Old 11-08-2017
Registered!!

I driven about 500 miles since the oil change I do mostly city driving. I'm gonna check it once a week now and always keep a quart of oil in the trunk now just in case just praying nothing got ruined I drove a few times today and didn't hear that knocking at all.
Old 11-08-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
It's eerily similar to the noise I had, which ended up being rod knock. That's why I asked if it was constant or if it changed with engine RPM. Have a listen at what I had. Only difference between yours and mine was that I heard it when the engine was under load. Yours does it at idle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUuRwnIf8GE
Yeah you're right that did sound similar. Do you still have this car? I hope mine wasn't rod knock I'm a chick but I always check my fluids just didn't think to this time since I just had the oil changed couple months ago.
Old 11-08-2017
Administrator
Administrator

Yeah you're right that did sound similar. Do you still have this car?
Well... yes and no.

Following the rod knock issue, I swapped out the bottom end of the engine and it ran fantastically after I fixed it. Recently suffered a head gasket failure which lead to a bigger failure that I couldn't fix on the spot, so I declared her dead :'(

Rod knock happened in March 2013. Fixed it July 2013 (at least, that's when I uploaded the video to YouTube). Literally declared her dead October 8 2017 at 5:37PM.

First off, see if the frequency varies with engine RPM. When I ripped apart the head to clean it after my rod knock incident, I took off the VTEC solenoid, and separated the screen from the solenoid assembly. There were metal shavings (bearing material) in the screen. Not hard to pull off; 3 bolts and one electrical connection holds it on the head and the screen is readily visible. No oil draining required. If you see metal shavings, cry in a corner. If you don't, keep searching for what could be causing the noise.

Last edited by xRiCeBoYx; 11-08-2017 at 02:30 AM.
Old 11-08-2017

and the oil was at or just below the minimum dot
The low mark is supposed to be within the safe range......

Hope the quart of fresh oil solved the issue.
Old 11-09-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
Well... yes and no.

Following the rod knock issue, I swapped out the bottom end of the engine and it ran fantastically after I fixed it. Recently suffered a head gasket failure which lead to a bigger failure that I couldn't fix on the spot, so I declared her dead :'(

Rod knock happened in March 2013. Fixed it July 2013 (at least, that's when I uploaded the video to YouTube). Literally declared her dead October 8 2017 at 5:37PM.

First off, see if the frequency varies with engine RPM. When I ripped apart the head to clean it after my rod knock incident, I took off the VTEC solenoid, and separated the screen from the solenoid assembly. There were metal shavings (bearing material) in the screen. Not hard to pull off; 3 bolts and one electrical connection holds it on the head and the screen is readily visible. No oil draining required. If you see metal shavings, cry in a corner. If you don't, keep searching for what could be causing the noise.
Sorry to hear that sucks about your car. I'll have to try your suggestion when I have the time to. Still don't hear that loud knocking
Old 11-09-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
The low mark is supposed to be within the safe range......

hope the quart of fresh oil solved the issue.
Thanks for your help and I hope it did too. I had two different readings on the oil dipstick one was at the low mark and the next reading was below the low mark so now I'm just about at the high mark. Going to check the oil again over the weekend and I have another quart of oil in the trunk.