7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

2003 LX: P0340 (fixed) now P0420 code, contemplating headers

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
redraif is an unknown quantity at this point
2003 LX: P0340 (fixed) now P0420 code, contemplating headers

So I just had a check engine light for a bad cam sensor (last week). 179,000 miles Car started bucking and stumbling intermittently. I was almost to work, so I continued on. Drive home was worse. Stopped got code read, pulled P0340 for the cam sensor. Got sensor and dropped with my trusted Honda Mechanic to verify and fix. (I drove car total about 35 miles with the CEL & stumbles.) He verified the code and saw nothing else amiss with his scan tool. Replaced part all was well. I picked up the car and took it home. First drive was this AM. I got about 2 miles down the road and CEL came on. This time it was the P0420 (cat code).

Question is.... did the stumbling when the car had the bad cam sensor cause the cat to go or code to trip? Mechanic cleared the codes, but seems too close together. Car is totally stock and does not burn or use oil or coolant. No bad smells... No power loss. Still getting 30mpg in stop and go traffic.

Plan is to clear the code and see if it resets again, or if another code shows with it. Figure i will run some lucas thru the gas with some mid grade... maybe seafoam the beast. See if that clears it up...

But if it does not... I'm not wanting to spend $500+ on a stock cat/manifold. I figure i might as well put that $ towards a negligible upgrade. Intake, headers & exhaust. As for the code with LX headers... I will O2 simulate for a little bit then get a hi-flo cat to put in line and extend the O2 wiring. Need to limp it till tax time.

But the big question... I have been searching for headers for the LX. I researched and found alot of old posts recommending Kamikaze. So I looked online and can't find any? I assume they are no longer available? So who is the go to brand for the LX now? I know I can go ex and get some fabrication done, but I just want to run with a direct bolt on for now... This is my only car and i don't have time to take off work right now for fabrication. All I have found is $50-60 headers on ebay and amazon. Andy's listed Megans for the LX... Are they acceptable?

Last edited by redraif; 11-01-2017 at 02:16 PM.
Old 10-30-2017
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2003 LX: P0340 (fixed) now P0420 code, contemplating headers

The kamikaze header is quite hard to find nowadays, and it was really only available for the d17a2 (ex). Now, It'll mate up with the D17A1 (dx/lx engine), but you'd have to convert to an ex exhaust setup. That involves changing out basically the entire exhaust setup, or at least getting a shop to cut the mid-pipe to mate up to an ex downpipe/cat, and mating that to an ex header.

Shameless plug. I have a dead d17a2 that I don't feel like spending any more money on, and as it sits, there's a kamikaze ceramic coated header mated to the head. Just saying.
Old 10-30-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Question is.... did the stumbling when the car had the bad cam sensor cause the cat to go or code to trip?
It sure could.
Old 11-01-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
The kamikaze header is quite hard to find nowadays, and it was really only available for the d17a2 (ex). Now, It'll mate up with the D17A1 (dx/lx engine), but you'd have to convert to an ex exhaust setup. That involves changing out basically the entire exhaust setup, or at least getting a shop to cut the mid-pipe to mate up to an ex downpipe/cat, and mating that to an ex header.
Grief I totally misread then. I thought that kamikaze did make a set of the LX, just minus the cat... seemed more avail then I guess they were.
Shameless plug. I have a dead d17a2 that I don't feel like spending any more money on, and as it sits, there's a kamikaze ceramic coated header mated to the head. Just saying.
As for your header... I would so do it, but again. Just wanting a bolt up option for the lx... I already have the parts for a spark plug non-fouler trick to avoid a code... But thank you for the thought... and thank you for the info. Especially regarding the engine codes. That should make searching a bit more clear.

SO... for the lx... what options are there? Just Megan? Are they decent? Just nervous as all the other alternatives I'm seeing is Amazon cheepies. Was trying to stick with a reputable brand. But there was some negatives mentioned by folks about the Megans when I was searching. The gains are not really what I'm worried about. I know there is negligible available now matter what you do.

https://www.andysautosport.com/produ...SSH-HC01D.html

http://www.meganracing.com/product.asp?prodid=323
part number: MR-SSH-HC01D

Last edited by redraif; 11-01-2017 at 02:55 PM.
Old 11-01-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by redraif
I already have the parts for a spark plug non-fouler trick to avoid a code...
Does it have a performance problem at all?

If if runs good and you just want to get rid of the cat code, install those onto what you have now and forget about spending more money unless or until it becomes absolutely necessary.
Old 11-02-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
Does it have a performance problem at all?

If if runs good and you just want to get rid of the cat code, install those onto what you have now and forget about spending more money unless or until it becomes absolutely necessary.
It runs fine... but I know what running with a clogged cat will do. you are fine for a bit then the clog becomes enough that you have too much back pressure and hurt your valves or blow the cat contents down stream and take out more. I killed my precat and main cat in the Montero sport waiting a bit to long... yikes... so $167 for headers and a defouler trick is fine insurance to not cause more issues. Typically upgrade when I replace... lol... if it ain't broke, don't fix it, but when it's broke, mod it