7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

04 civic LX, overheating, list of parts replaced

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alucard2 is an unknown quantity at this point
04 civic LX, overheating, list of parts replaced

Hey everyone, sorry if this is redundant but I'm at a loss, I have replaced my thermostat, gasket, coolant temp sensor, radiator fan, relay, fuse, water pump, and radiator. Car still over heats. There is no coolant in the oil or any smoke coming from the exhaust. I am at a loss on what to fix next or if there is something I missed. Any help would be great
Old 10-26-2017
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of
Re: 04 civic LX, overheating, list of parts replaced

Originally Posted by Alucard2
Hey everyone, sorry if this is redundant but I'm at a loss, I have replaced my thermostat, gasket, coolant temp sensor, radiator fan, relay, fuse, water pump, and radiator. Car still over heats. There is no coolant in the oil or any smoke coming from the exhaust. I am at a loss on what to fix next or if there is something I missed. Any help would be great
Use OEM parts?
Is the interior (climate control) heater working at idle and while driving?
Did you bleed air from coolant system per service manual?

With all the parts you replaced it points to the head gasket as being suspect. Do a Block Test and/or an Ezone style leakdown test.
Old 10-26-2017
Registered!!

Interior climate control is not working, barely blowing air warmer than outside temp, bled air out of radiator as much as possible, waiting for it to cool down to night and try to re bleed radiator but im guessing head gasket is toast.
Old 10-27-2017
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Alucard2
I have replaced my thermostat, gasket, coolant temp sensor, radiator fan, relay, fuse, water pump, and radiato

all of these parts were a waste of money.....you have a blown head gasket
Old 10-27-2017
Registered!!

Kinda figured that from the start but didn't spend any money on the parts because they were all warrantied from ea skier this year. Car is having a very hard time starting today after letting it sit, ran it for about 4 miles all was good and now 4 hours later it doesn't want to start.
Old 10-27-2017
Registered!!

DavidKing is an unknown quantity at this point

I had a similar issue with 2002 LX and everyone said, "it is the head gasket". Well, it wasn't. Rather, it was caused by air pockets in the coolant system, when my thermostat was replaced and the coolant was flushed.

To remove all the air from the cooling system, I used the "Lisle 24610 Spill-Free Funnel" which I got from amazon. I was surprised how much air came out.

I use a Garmin mechanic live monitoring system to check the health of various systems as I drive and my coolant temperature is between 183 and 205, cooling fan is activated at 205 and turns off at 200 with coolant temperature dropping to 196.

I haven't had any issues since it was flushed properly.
Old 10-28-2017
OF top 99.5% creator (Formerly of the Puffinblunts variety)

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts
Wankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud ofWankenstein has much to be proud of

OP: with all the parts replaced it's assumed that if you have the skill level to or a mechanic replaced those parts...then a proper coolant system bleeding was performed.

Are you losing coolant externally or internally? Have you or a mechanic performed a pressure test to find possible external leaks?

I would start with a pressure test and a block test (both testers are a free rental at Autozone or O'Reilly's) Block Test fluid is $10. Start there and if no leaks are found via pressure test and block test is negative: blue test fluid remains blue...then do a coolant system air bleed:

Raise front end on jacks as high as possible
Set climate control to max heat and fan off
Can (optionally) use a funnel as David mentioned placed in the radiator neck
Start engine and let idle until rad-fan engages twice
Turn off engine and use a rag (to avoid burns) to put rad-cap back on
Old 10-28-2017
Registered!!

310civicEX is an unknown quantity at this point

its a 4 banger.... go for the head gasket job.. just get the head checked for cracks and warpage... other then that watch some tutorials... you could probably do it in 3 hours..