7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

02 Honda Civic Manual Transmission Drain

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2017
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
user 73921 is an unknown quantity at this point
02 Honda Civic Manual Transmission Drain

I just bought a Honda and am new to this forum. I bought my car used from a dealership with 198,000 miles. I'm in the military and the car will be used to mainly drive to and from base, not long commutes. I have almost no information on maintenance done to the vehicle, i was able to receive some information from Carfax but no transmission information. I don't have any access to stands or lifts to do anything major myself, but have a small box with simple tools.
I'm wondering what complications may arise from doing a transmission drain at this mileage especially since i have no idea when it was done last? Would it be better to just let it do its thing and not drain it at all?

What i have done so far is very little
Oil/Filter change
Cabin filter
New battery terminals
Old 09-28-2017
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,126 Likes on 941 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all
Re: 02 Honda Civic Manual Transmission Drain

get the timing belt, tensioner, and waterpump pump replaced asap if you have no history of them being changed.

No harm in replacing the manual trans fluid, use the honda fluid.
The capacity is listed in the owners manual (around 2 quarts).
17mm for the fill, either 3/8" ratchet or 17mm for the drain. make sure the fill plug comes out before you drain the trans.
A set of ramps or a jack and a pair of jack stands is probably needed to get at the drain plug. you could probably find a used set of ramps for like $20.
For filling the trans i use a funnel and a chunk of hose, that way i can fill from up top.
make sure the drain plug is in and clean the magnet. then fill until fluid comes out the fill hole.
throw the plug in, get the car back on level ground and double check the fluid level, add/remove as needed
Old 09-28-2017
Banned

Thank you for the quick reply and info, ill maybe just try doing that myself.

Is there an easy way of just inspecting the timing belt myself with limited tools? That's a pretty costly maintenance repair, i would rather know for sure if i needed it done before having someone check it?
Old 09-28-2017

Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

unfortunately you can't tell just by looking at it,
you bought the car at a dealership? a honda dealership? maybe the car was serviced there and they can look it up using your vin number?
based on your mileage it should've been done once already, and pretty much due for a second one. provided the car was serviced regularly
you can DIY it, there's a few threads about it and several youtube videos. might need to acquire some new tools, and if you have some buddies that are good with cars and/or know hondas that would be good. its not a terribly difficult job. is there a shop on base you have access to?
Old 09-28-2017
Banned

Yes it was purchased at a honda used car dealer. They had it carfax inspected and gave me the results, ill call them and ask today what they may have done before the sell. Unfortanetly we dont have anything on this base. I pretty car savy and could watch a video and do it, just need a place to do it.
Old 09-28-2017

make a new friend that has a garage, bring beer