7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2003 Honda Civic LX won't shift out of park, Rev to 3000rpm upon startup

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jillian Sopran is an unknown quantity at this point
2003 Honda Civic LX won't shift out of park, Rev to 3000rpm upon startup

I've had this 2003 Honda Civic LX for about 6 months now, over that period of time I've had an two occurrences where my car would overheat, instantly rev to 3000rpm while parked, and wont let me shift out of park. This usually fixes itself in about a half hour once it cools off, and wouldnt happen again for a couple months. This time, it's stuck revving at 3000rpm and will not shift, I can use the shift-lock release, but the car is still revving high and overheating. I took it to an auto shop and had the guy tell me he had too much pride to work on my car, and that I need a new shifter, I can guarantee it's not the shifter, it's something making it overheat upon startup. Any ideas? All my fluids and oil are full.
​​
Old 09-15-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2003 Honda Civic LX won't shift out of park, Rev to 3000rpm upon startup

Sounds to me like the throttle is partially open causing it to rev up and causing the shifter interlock control to not allow it to release the shifter normally.

You would need to figure out WHY the throttle is not fully closed when this occurs. Could be as simple as throttle cable adjusted too tight, not enough free play.

Not sure if this is related to your overheat issue or not.
Radiator completely full? Burped? Radiator fans run correctly?