7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nooks610 is an unknown quantity at this point
Help!

Hey all! So very long story short I recently got new head gaskets put on by pep boys . Two weeks later, while in NJ, the car dies. I get it towed to nearest mechaic who tells me that a valve cover bolt got loose, broke off part of then timing belt cover, got wedged in the timing belt and shredded it. I get a new timing belt so I can get home. I'm told valve cover bolt holes are stripped and need to be replaced, along w part of cover that cracked off. Car is also making a rattling noise. I bring it back to said pep boys where he tells me the NJ mechanic is the one who stripped the bolt holes. Aren't bolts usually stripped by being over tightened, not by being taken out? He disagreed with the theory that the bolt had done all that damage (it couldn't break the cover and get lodged in there?). He could not deny that he belt was shredded. He offeres to reimburse me for some of the work done in Jersey, but then would have to charge me for the bolt cover holes or he would do more of the work for less money but then I would have to sign a waiver releasing them if anything else happens. Do I let them fix what the messed up or do I just go somewhere else and take pep boys to small claims court?? Thanks in advance for your help!!
Old 09-07-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Help!

After only reading one side of the story, IMHO the first shop probably owes you for all repairs......but you should read the wording of the written warranty.

Once the second shop figured out what happened and determined the root cause of the failure was some error or mistake or accident or oversight by the first shop, the first shop should have been contacted immediately to see how THEY would like to handle THEIR warranty coverage, how THEY would like the repairs to proceed, and what THEY would be covering, cost wise.

If that did not happen in that order, the first shop might absolve themselves of all responsibility for the work, because the second shop has "had their fingers" in the same area.

The valve cover bolt holes were likely stripped during installation, but either shop could be at fault. IMHO If the first shop borked their job as bad as you make it sound, it stands to reason the same person borked the valve cover bolt threads too. At this point nobody can prove anything, and egos/dollars will not let anyone admit fault/responsibility.

Chain stores, in general, aren't the place to find great techs.

a valve cover bolt got loose, broke off part of then timing belt cover, got wedged in the timing belt and shredded it.
Do you have all of these broken parts in your possession?
Old 09-08-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nooks610 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Help!

Hey thanks so much, yea I have the shredded timing belt and the broken valve cover is still in there...