7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Value of Full Size Spare

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rockyrock is an unknown quantity at this point
Value of Full Size Spare

My tires are about at the end of their useful life and while I am buying new tires, I will probably take advantage of the situation and buy 16x7 alloy wheels.

I have been seriously considering the idea of purchasing five and having a full size spare. I understand flats/blowouts are rare and it is unlikely I would have the occasion to use it but...I make 450 mile round trips through Los Angeles to San Diego on a regular basis. The idea of using the donut on the 405 is a pretty uneasy thought.

Beyond that though, it would give me the option to change the tire once and be done with it. I could repair/replace the damaged tire and put it back in the trunk until the next rotation or incident.

Obviously the initial investment will be higher and replacing five tires is more than replacing four. Long-term though with proper care I won't have to replace tires as often.

I know the additional weight will reduce fuel economy. Any other cons I should be aware of?

Finally, anyone have experience with the fit of a full-size wheel/tire in the trunk well? I made a new trunk floor/spare cover out of 1/2" plywood. It covers the entire floor, not just the well.

Thanks!
Old 09-07-2017
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,126 Likes on 941 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all
Re: Value of Full Size Spare

Go for it, double check that the full size will fit ok and your floor will clear it. Depending on how bad your current tires are you could even use one of them as your spare. I doubt the extra couple of pounds would affect the fuel mileage that much, it's not a 35" mud tire. I miss having a full size spare back when I had my truck.
Old 09-07-2017
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
robfarr56 is just really nicerobfarr56 is just really nicerobfarr56 is just really nicerobfarr56 is just really nice

I just feel that we are blessed to have a compact spare!
A lot of companies give you a can of Flat Fix and wish you well.

I would say pull off one of your current wheels and see how it fits.
Old 09-08-2017
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Fits inside the well..... but will not be flush or below as donut is.
Old 09-08-2017
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
robfarr56 is just really nicerobfarr56 is just really nicerobfarr56 is just really nicerobfarr56 is just really nice

I am sort of shopping, and I saw a 9th gen Hybrid, and in it's specs, it listed a "Tire Repair Kit".
Sounds like a can of Fix-a-flat to me...
Old 09-08-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by CraigW
Fits inside the well..... but will not be flush or below as donut is.
That shouldn't be an issue, I can just put some some risers on my new trunk floor to make it sit higher.
Old 09-18-2017
Registered!!

I just purchased five (16x7) wheels from autoanything. They were $376.64 delivered. I'm looking for tires now, proly going for some Cont Control Contact Touring or Mich Premier or Defender. I want the best ride I can get...

I'll have the brake lines bled when I get them installed. Keep it simple and save time.

http://www.autoanything.com/wheels-r...byrinth-wheels

Last edited by rockyrock; 09-18-2017 at 04:58 PM.