7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2005 honda civic lx cooling fan issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don juan is an unknown quantity at this point
2005 honda civic lx cooling fan issue

I'm having issues with overheating in a 05 honda civic lx. Last year, I had the head gasket replaced. Did fine for a year or so, then started having overheating issues. I noticed that the cooling fans were not kicking on at all, so I replaced the fan switch. I also replaced the thermostat at the same time. Now the fans come on at the normal temp when you crank it and let it idle(a little less than halfway up the gauge). No issue there. Then you drive it like 10 miles, the overflow fills up some, but the fan doesn't come on again until the temp is about 3/4 of the way up the gauge, a doesn't really cool it down, just kinda stays there at 3/4. Not sure what I'm dealing with here. I'm no mechanic. Please help if you can. Also, the new thermostat was supposed to be rated at a lower temp than the one that was on there. I had a friend I trust do the work. Never had him do anything but good work to all my vehicles
Old 09-05-2017
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,126 Likes on 941 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all
Re: 2005 honda civic lx cooling fan issue

head gasket may be blown again. when the overfill fills up is the rad down on coolant? (combustion gases pushing coolant into the overflow)
Old 09-05-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2005 honda civic lx cooling fan issue

Also, the new thermostat was supposed to be rated at a lower temp than the one that was on there.
Thermostat rating change doesn't change the temp at which the fan switch turns on.