7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Noise in cab

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
midwaymonsters is an unknown quantity at this point
Noise in cab

Since there was so much exhaust noise leaking into the cab, I decided to replace the back half of the exhaust system of our 2001 Civic with a new straight pipe and standard muffler since the pipe had a bend (there was also no resonator) and the glasspack muffler was too loud. I opted to not have a resonator installed to save money thinking that it wouldn't make that much of a difference, however, I should've added it when I had the pipe and muffler installed, not only for possible sound reduction, but also for increased efficiency. The car had front-end damage, which it had been repaired, however, my mechanic stated that the motor mount bushings may need to be replaced, which he thinks is the reason why there's noise inside the car. To me, it sounds more like an exhaust noise problem coming up front near the engine rather than a motor mount vibration issue. He did say that he didn't detect any leaks from the exhaust system. Since changing out the glasspack muffler, it is quieter inside and out, but there's still too much noise in the cab that could be reduced even more. Do you think adding a resonator would eliminate the remaining noise inside?
Old 07-21-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Noise in cab

I know removing a resonator can add a whole lot of noise, so it stands to reason adding a resonator can reduce a lot of noise.

------If it got smacked in front, make sure the forward mount wasn't damaged...I've seen that break off of a chunk of the transmission...

If you think it might be mounts, place a floor jack under the drivetrain (use blocks of wood where necessary to prevent damage to the oil pan) and jack the engine/trans up JUST enough to lift the weight off the mounts. Does that change the noise significantly?

Someone else posted about mounts and ended up finding someone had not tightened the engine nose mount bracket after the timing belt job...
I know the 8th gens with a collapsed engine mount can transmit so much vibration it sounds like it's got a fart can muffler sticking out the back.
Old 07-22-2017
Registered!!

I'll do that and let you know the outcome. Thanks again, ezone!
Old 09-27-2017
Registered!!

rockyrock is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by midwaymonsters
I'll do that and let you know the outcome. Thanks again, ezone!

What was the outcome?
Old 09-28-2017
Registered!!

I had the rear engine mount replaced, issue resolved!
Old 09-28-2017
Registered!!

rockyrock is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by midwaymonsters
I had the rear engine mount replaced, issue resolved!
Thanks man!!
Old 09-28-2017
Registered!!

U bet
Originally Posted by rockyrock
Thanks man!!