7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Slight grinding in 1st gear when engine is cold?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dunnerz is an unknown quantity at this point
Slight grinding in 1st gear when engine is cold?

Hi, my 2003 civic makes the slight grinding noise when the clutch isn't engaged. I think it's the input shaft bearing. But it also has a slight grind at around 3000rpm in first gear when the engine is cold? After about 5-10 minutes of driving it stops. Every now and then it will come back for a second when the engine is warm. Any ideas what this is? Is it just the input bearing or could it be something else?
Old 07-20-2017
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GusBuz is a jewel in the roughGusBuz is a jewel in the roughGusBuz is a jewel in the rough
Re: Slight grinding in 1st gear when engine is cold?

Most likely bad ISB. Depending on how bad it is and how long its been run that way, it can make louder noise. Mine was growling pretty bad towards the end when I replaced it.
Old 07-20-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by GusBuz
Most likely bad ISB. Depending on how bad it is and how long its been run that way, it can make louder noise. Mine was growling pretty bad towards the end when I replaced it.
Nice one, thanks bud 👍 To be honest, I'm not sure how long it's been going on I've owned the car two days 😉 The car was warm when I took it for a test drive. It's from a garage, I'm going back Thursday so I will see what they say.......
Old 07-25-2017
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GusBuz is a jewel in the roughGusBuz is a jewel in the roughGusBuz is a jewel in the rough

Forgot to mention, if you decide to replace the ISB, go ahead and replace the other bearings inside the trans since you are in there.

I say this because now I wish I had, the noise from the isb is gone but I still hear some slight bearing noise. Im sure it is from the other bearings inside the trans and im not about to do this job again....
Old 07-25-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by GusBuz
Forgot to mention, if you decide to replace the ISB, go ahead and replace the other bearings inside the trans since you are in there.

I say this because now I wish I had, the noise from the isb is gone but I still hear some slight bearing noise. Im sure it is from the other bearings inside the trans and im not about to do this job again....
Yeah I got a quote for all of them. Im not too sure what it is now? I've started night shifts at work now and because the roads are silent when I leave I can here the grinding up to about 3000rpm in first gear then it's quieter. But I can also hear it up until around 4000rpm in second? 🤔 I have no idea. Also the slight grinding when the clutch isn't engaged when in neutral??
Old 07-25-2017
The legs in the public bathroom stall

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
mcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to behold

Engine running, foot off the clutch pedal, car in neutral= Is the trans noisy?

Accelerate in 1st gear to 10 mph then completely let off of the gas and coast down with your foot off the clutch= Is the trans noisy?

These are pretty sure indicators of worn manual trans bearings.

If the noise is present in every gear ONLY when the clutch pedal is depressed I would be thinking more towards a throw out bearing.
Old 07-26-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by mcnoople
Engine running, foot off the clutch pedal, car in neutral= Is the trans noisy?

Accelerate in 1st gear to 10 mph then completely let off of the gas and coast down with your foot off the clutch= Is the trans noisy?

These are pretty sure indicators of worn manual trans bearings.

If the noise is present in every gear ONLY when the clutch pedal is depressed I would be thinking more towards a throw out bearing.
If it's the transmission bearings why can I only hear them in 1st and 2nd? Is it something to do with the resonance of the input shaft when the engine is producing that specific power out put? This is all confusing stuff 😉 Thanks for the advice guys ✌🏻