7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Recommended Oil?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A A ron is an unknown quantity at this point
Recommended Oil?

Hello guys,

As the title states, im looking towards the near further in changing my oil. I always use full synthetic. However, this is my first oil change for the car i own now. The oils i were thinking about are

Mobil 1 Extended Performance
Amazon Amazon

Genuine Honda Fluid, Ultimate Synthetic
Amazon Amazon

but i have also come across this one as well, however its a synthetic blend...
Honda Fluid Synthetic Blend
Amazon Amazon
/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A29XGYB1O66VEN&psc=1

Im also choosing between a mobil 1 extended perf filter, which i have used in the past and is amazing. But i was also thinking about a honda oil filter as well
Amazon Amazon

my car currently has 152k miles on it, just drove to to ocean city and back, clocked over 500 miles and no oil loss. Got 40 mpg. 2001 honda civic ex

I would prefer user experience with these responses. Thank you
Old 07-17-2017
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,126 Likes on 941 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all
Re: Recommended Oil?

Personally I run 0w20 synthetic (pretty sure Honda back spec'd this all the way back to '01 for any car that used 5w20). I'll use Pennzoil, Quaker State, Mobil 1, Castrol, whatever is on sale. As for the filter again whatever is on sale Fram, Quaker State, Pennzoil. I don't use the cheap no name products though. I change my oil at 8000 kms (Canada) and I never burn a drop between changes, I check every 1000 kms.
Old 07-18-2017
Prelude Owner

Received 303 Likes on 214 Posts
GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Ocean City MD or NJ?

Really any name brand oil is going to do just fine for your engine. Modern engines and oils are great. It's a Civic so running fancy oils and filters are overkill IMO. I used to use Castrol full synthetic in my 01 Civic and Fram super guard filter.

Now for my Fit and wife's Pilot I use Honda 5W-20 and Honda filter (Fram). I order a case of oil, pack of filters and some crush washers from online OEM parts dealers. I change the oil when the idiot light tells me which is between 9 and 10k miles.
Old 07-18-2017
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

DO NOT USE 0W20

Especially if you haven't done an engine rebuild on a car from 2001-2005.

All zero weights across all manufacturers offer lower oil film rates and higher bearing wear then heavier oils.

The only reason the zero weights are created is to lower gas consumption.

Now also considering your engine is worn, meaning there are now larger gaps between the bearings, the rings are worn and the valve seals are worn.

If anything you should be increasing oil viscosity.

Stick to 5w20.
Old 07-18-2017
Registered!!

Thanks for the input guys!
Old 07-18-2017
Registered!!

babbshonda has a spectacular aura aboutbabbshonda has a spectacular aura about

I use OEM syn-blend 5w20 with OEM filter
Old 07-18-2017
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
pjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by mac25
DO NOT USE 0W20

Especially if you haven't done an engine rebuild on a car from 2001-2005.

All zero weights across all manufacturers offer lower oil film rates and higher bearing wear then heavier oils.

The only reason the zero weights are created is to lower gas consumption.

Now also considering your engine is worn, meaning there are now larger gaps between the bearings, the rings are worn and the valve seals are worn.

If anything you should be increasing oil viscosity.

Stick to 5w20.
Wrong. The 0w oils have nothing to do with lower gas consumption, the 0 weight has more to do with it being a true synthetic that has a naturally low pour point at the 0 degree point used for the 'w' rating. Most of the A3/B3 oils are 0w-30 or 0w-40 and give superior protection. If anything the 0w oils give better flow at 0 degrees and below and prevent bearing wear.
Old 07-18-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by babbshonda
I use OEM syn-blend 5w20 with OEM filter
Assuming OEM meaning the honda filter & oil. What is your experience with it? is it the filter and oils i have linked above? have you had it sent for analysis? these are the answers i seek.

thanks everyone for the suggestions and advice so far!
Old 07-18-2017
Prelude Owner

GolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to beholdGolNat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by A A ron
Assuming OEM meaning the honda filter & oil. What is your experience with it? is it the filter and oils i have linked above? have you had it sent for analysis? these are the answers i seek.

thanks everyone for the suggestions and advice so far!
Yes that's the oil and filter that you have linked. Honda Synthetic Blend and A01 or A02 filter. It's cheaper elsewhere. I can get it locally for under $7 a quart at one dealer but another wants $14 so shop around.

No need for oil analysis. This is the oil and filter that a bunch of Fluid Dynamics and Mechancial Engineers figured is best for your engine. Also, it's a Civic not a Corvette or Diesel truck that you tow a horse trailer with. No need for a bigger filter either. My 1.5 liter Fit uses the same filter as my wife's 3.5 liter Pilot. Also people get upset because the new Honda filter is paper and inferior. It still meets Honda's specs so what really is bad about it.

Just choose a oil that meets or exceeds the manufactures requirements.

Last edited by GolNat; 07-18-2017 at 08:33 PM.
Old 07-18-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by GolNat
Yes that's the oil and filter that you have linked. Honda Synthetic Blend and A01 or A02 filter. It's cheaper elsewhere. I can get it locally for under $7 a quart at one dealer but another wants $14 so shop around.

No need for oil analysis. This is the oil and filter that a bunch of Fluid Dynamics and Mechancial Engineers figured is best for your engine. Also, it's a Civic not a Corvette or Diesel truck that you tow a horse trailer with. No need for a bigger filter either. My 1.5 liter Fit uses the same filter as my wife's 3.5 liter Pilot. Also people get upset because the new Honda filter is paper and inferior. It still meets Honda's specs so what really is bad about it.

Just choose a oil that meets or exceeds the manufactures requirements.
Thanks for the user experience i was looking for!

I would still like to know if anyone has had experience with the ultimate synthetic oil honda offers
Old 07-19-2017
Registered!!

pjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of lightpjb3 is a glorious beacon of light

I'm curious what Honda full synthetic oil sells for if the synthetic blend is $7 to $14 a quart. Based on your original question, my choice would be a 5 qt jug of Mobil 1 at WalMart for $25 and a $7 Purolator PureOne oil filter at Advance Auto.

From what I can find Honda full synthetic is a very good oil, I just can't find anything that suggests it is better than Mobil 1 or worth the increased price. Either way you won't be making a bad choice.
Old 07-19-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by pjb3
I'm curious what Honda full synthetic oil sells for if the synthetic blend is $7 to $14 a quart. Based on your original question, my choice would be a 5 qt jug of Mobil 1 at WalMart for $25 and a $7 Purolator PureOne oil filter at Advance Auto.

From what I can find Honda full synthetic is a very good oil, I just can't find anything that suggests it is better than Mobil 1 or worth the increased price. Either way you won't be making a bad choice.

I guess ill be the first sending in a VOA and a UOA when i do my oil changes.

I think i will go with the honda oil filter and full ultimate synthetic. Unless someone else has bad experience with it.
Old 07-20-2017
Registered!!

04 blue civic is an unknown quantity at this point

I use Mobil 1 5w20 full syn high mileage and Mobil 1 filter. Autozone usually has both on sale for $29.99
Old 07-20-2017
Car Audio Inc

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
thornygravy is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm feeling awkward running regular oil now that I see how many of you guys use synthetic. *gulp*
Old 07-20-2017
Prelude Owner

Originally Posted by thornygravy
I'm feeling awkward running regular oil now that I see how many of you guys use synthetic. *gulp*
You are perfectly fine, no need to worry.
Old 07-21-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by A A ron
Yes, it is the one you have linked. Amazon is super expensive though. I get it at my local Honda dealer. 5 quarts and a filter usually run me less than $25. I've never had any test run on the used oil. I figured if Honda sells it, then it performs well.
Old 07-21-2017
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

i don't know why people get so obsessed over oil types and brands, its a waste of time, energy and money,

use a name brand 5W20, keep it simple, its easier that way

i have been using 5W20 quaker state since the day i bought my 05 brand new, it doesn't leak a drop or burn a drop to this day,

i can't imagine how many hundreds or thousands of dollars i would have wasted over the past 12 years if i bought "better oil"

what would that "better oil" do for me that my current or did not?

your chances of an oil related failure in these engines is next to zeroeven if your using no name brand oil from some country called Borat

that extra money would be much better spent on other maintanance or repairs
Old 07-21-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by mikey1
i don't know why people get so obsessed over oil types and brands, its a waste of time, energy and money,

i can't imagine how many hundreds or thousands of dollars i would have wasted over the past 12 years if i bought "better oil"

that extra money would be much better spent on other maintanance or repairs
I agree. As long as a proper maintenance schedule is followed, then the oil type/brand is almost irrelevant. I use OEM because its convenient, fairly cost effective, and peace of mind.
Old 07-22-2017
Registered!!

04 blue civic is an unknown quantity at this point

Everyone has their own preference of oil of course.... for me I always choose Mobil 1. It's in all my personal vehicles, farm equipment and my drag car.. and again it's always on sale for ab $30 at Autozone with Mobil 1 filter.

The main thing is stay with one brand don't switch bc someone's is cheaper your next LOF...
Old 07-24-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by mikey1

your chances of an oil related failure in these engines is next to zeroeven if your using no name brand oil from some country called Borat
You might want to do some research on how bad some no name oil can be. I would also raise the question are stuck oil control rings "an oil related failure"?

I run an ACEA A3/B4 synthetic oil because when my son had the Civic at college he wasn't going to change the oil on schedule. There was also a good chance we wasn't going to check the oil so I wanted an oil that would still offer good protection if it was 2 quarts low. Basically, for $6 to $9 a year I bought peace of mind and at 160,000 miles an engine that still doesn't use any oil.

I could change to 5w-20 and do 3 oil changes a year instead of 2 but I don't see the advantage to spending more time and money for less protection.
Old 07-26-2017
Dr Krieger of Modification

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
mac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to beholdmac25 is a splendid one to behold

You do not need a ACEA spec. for a 7th gen.

any API spec. oil will run fine.

Any API synthetic should run 10,000km and 12 months, just fine.
Old 07-26-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by mac25
You do not need a ACEA spec. for a 7th gen.

any API spec. oil will run fine.

Any API synthetic should run 10,000km and 12 months, just fine.
Both are ratings systems. An API SM rated oil is a large category, ACEA breaks it down further. At your auto parts store look at the oil, every oil will be API SM but you will find various ACEA ratings if they are ACEA rated at all.
I would also point out an ACEA rating does not make an oil better it just gives more information about the oil.