7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Sensors

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rick Kusturin is an unknown quantity at this point
Sensors

I bought an 05 Civic LX, 5spd MT, with a D17A1 engine, used, and have done some work on it. When I bought it, I soon discovered that the head gasket was blown and that it had been resolved with Bar's Stop Leak. So I put it into the shop; they confirmed the gasket blown and repaired it.

So my question to this forum is this: since it's clear that coolant had leaked into a combustion chamber, and had been burned and exhausted, which, if any, sensors would be affected by this? Right now I'm fighting the idle problem that seems to be a common issue for 'later in life' models. Are there any sensors that would be particularly affected by contamination of the exhaust by coolant?

For the record I've replaced the EGR, the IACV, the TPS (with calibration), new coils for each spark plug, new spark plugs, and the fuel pump.

Last edited by Rick Kusturin; 06-28-2017 at 08:36 AM. Reason: wrong word
Old 06-28-2017
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Sensors

Originally Posted by Rick Kusturin
since it's clear that coolant had leaked into a combustion chamber, and had been burned and exhausted

actually thats not really clear,

when these engines blow head gaskets generally the opposite happens...combustion gases are pushed through the leak into the cooling system,

in most cases coolant does not enter the combustion chamber at all
Old 07-20-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rick Kusturin is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Sensors

I'll close out this question by reporting that after replacing all the sensors that might cause the poor idle / sputter problem, my last resort was to replace the fuel injectors and to do a valve adjustment.

I do not know which action did the trick, but the car is running perfectly. I did note that the intake valves were tight. I didn't measure the gap before adjustment, but I do know it was less than the .008 (spec is .007 to .009) that I set. Also, one exhaust valve was tight.

So now the car idles very well...no sputtering when accelerating...and am getting 40+ mpg. It really is a very pleasant car to drive now!