7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Headlamp adjustment screw came out.

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FijiEM2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Headlamp adjustment screw came out.

So my original head lights on my 05 coupe were completely hazy so I order some black housing replacements from ebay, felt it would be a savy investment to have a better lamp and improve the look of the car.

However, the new housings came in with zero damage which is great but they didn't line up right after the install. Well I did some reading online about the beam adjustment screw on the back. At first I tried using an insanely long Phillips to do the job which didn't yield any noticeable results.

So the next day I bought some extended bits for my drill and thought I would attempt the adjustment with that. Driver side did just fine going up and down on the beam. Passenger side the screw backed out of the housing. So I'm left wondering if this head light is junk or do I need to remove it and somehow get the screw back in. It seemed as though the fixture that goes up and down has fallen slightly.
Old 06-07-2017
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Headlamp adjustment screw came out.

Remove headlight and bulbs. Remove metal clips along seam of headlight, if applicable. Heat oven to 210F. Stick headlight in for 10 minutes. Remove headlight from oven (careful, it'll be more than warm, but not "omfg my fingerprints are burning off" hot). Use a flathead screwdriver to help you separate the front lens from housing. Fix adjustment screw. Pop housing back in oven for 5-10 minutes to make glue pliable. Reinstall front lens insuring minimal gap along the seam (this may take some force/pinch strength, patience, and maybe some degree of pain tolerance). Reinstall and try adjusting again.
Old 06-07-2017
Registered!!

FijiEM2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Damn, sounds like buying a replacement would be easier.
Old 06-07-2017
Registered!!

SIngram is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by FijiEM2
Damn, sounds like buying a replacement would be easier.
I would worry about ruining my headlight more than how "easy" the task is. Because at the end of the day, how easy something is comes down to if you can do it right.

But if you are already thinking about buying a new headlamp, why not give it a shot? If you are fine with buying a replacement, why worry about ruining your old parts?

Best of luck!
Old 06-07-2017
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,146 Likes on 801 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Taking apart a headlight is actually very easy. Scary at first, but you do it once and all that fear is gone.

It would help to have extra butyl rubber glue on hand, but not completely necessary if you heat it up again to make the glue pliable.

Source: I've done 2 HID retrofits that involve taking headlights apart. Did one back in February and the projector shrouds didn't play nice. Had to bust them open about 4 times in the span of 5 days before I decided to dremel out a part of the original reflector bowl to compensate for my LED angel eyes. lol. Gotta bust 'em open again because Vegas heat was melting the butyl rubber glue I used to hold the shrouds on.