7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Newby

Old 05-20-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Archaeologist is an unknown quantity at this point
Newby

Hi everyone, I am new to the forum, but I am an active member of the Volvo and Ford forum(s).

I am in the process of purchasing my first Honda, a 2001/Y Civic 1.6 i-VTEC SE 5 door hatchback...something I spotted on eBay! The car has done 107k, two owners, fully history, cambelt change fairly recently and in superb condition.

The car drives faultlessly...indeed I couldn't really fault it in anyway, not even the price at £550. I was surprised just how much room there is inside the cabin, and boot of this car, and how easy it was to drive.

I don't know why I am hesitating to complete the purchase, its just that at this end of the market (sub £1k) you can't expect too much, and I guess you have to be extra careful! I don't expect years of trouble-free, money-free motoring, but I guess that this car represents just about the best chance I have of getting somewhere near that driving a sixteen year old car that cost £550!

I am fairly competent in assessing how a car should run when I go to have a look at it, and as I said, I can't really detect any faults at all, but is there anything I should be aware of? Car has a full MoT, passed last week.

Look forward to plenty more posts....thanks to you all. Dave.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	media.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	89834  
Old 05-20-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Newby

Welcome to the forum!

I'd say give it a good checkover (and under if at all possible). Drive it, slow roads and fast roads. Maybe you can uncover some issues that give you bargaining power during price negotiation.

Plan on it needing SOMEthing (have money put aside for it) .....there's always a reason someone gets rid of a car, can you figure out what it really is?

(Google images shows a 1,6L engine of the same style as our North America D17Ax engines, so that makes me wonder if it may be prone to suffering a blown head gasket which is sloooowly pushing antifreeze into the reservoir, while the level in the radiator is slowly going down?)
Old 05-23-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Civic4me is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Newby

Hey, a few years ago I bought 2005 Civic for 350CAD, driving it ever since. The guy just wanted to get rid of this car. I fixed brakes, few other things, and here I am - happy Civic owner! )) I am sure that it was the best car purchase I ever made, even though I have had a number of brand new fancy cars in my life.. I wish I could get back all the money wasted on new cars.

Welcome to Civic club brother! Take care of your Civic, and it will take care of you )

Search this Thread