7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Steering clunk noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
User 082322 is an unknown quantity at this point
Steering clunk noise

So about 600 miles ago I replaced struts all the way around. I did not have this clunk noise before I swapped the struts. It only happens at cold start or when the veh. Has sat for a few min or longer. Basically when I get in my car and start turning the wheel regardless, left or right. I get a clunk noise that I can feel in the brake pedal. Everything is tight, and I had an alignment done after I did the struts.

I've replaced the sway bar links as well, but this was not the issue.

Anyone have any suggestions?
Old 05-01-2017
Registered!!

Civic4me is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Steering clunk noise

Something is seriously wrong, you shouldnt feel anything at brake pedal. Take wheels off and check everything. Cheap strut mounts can make noise too, but brake pedal is something else.
Old 05-01-2017
Registered!!

It doesn't feel like it's coming from the brake pedal, it feels like something in the front end is popping or clunking together and the vibration is traveling through the body of the car. So it travels through the brake pedal. My brakes and everything drive perfectly fine, I've put about 1000 miles with this clunk noise. It's just getting annoying.

I should add that my rack and pinon has a leak from the center of it. Could it be my rack and pinon making the noise?
Old 05-01-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Stethoscope it, pinpoint the source of the noise?
Old 05-01-2017
Registered!!

It's hard to duplicate, if I turn the wheel back and forth over and over it doesn't always do it. Seems to only be once I've stopped and started the vehicle.