7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Gauge cluster

Old 04-17-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
User 082322 is an unknown quantity at this point
Gauge cluster

Apparently from my findings is that our gauge clusters are notorious for going bad. What's kinda ticking me off is that there are hundreds of threads about what's wrong with them but no fixes, or how to for them. Are they not repairable? What causes them to go hay wire? If a gauge cluster is bought new or used can it just be swapped? I read that the milage will not transfer over as it is stored in the cluster itself and not in the cars computer. Is that true?

So many questions... mine appears to be working for now but I do notice that my fuel gauge is not completely acurrate. So I'm worried this may happen to me soon. Any insight?
Old 04-17-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Gauge cluster

my findings is that our gauge clusters are notorious for going bad.
not really. You just read the horror stories, you don't ever hear about the ones that still work just fine.

If there's a problem.....Most people seem to swap for a used gauge cluster. ($)

Most could probably be repaired, if you have the talent and time for it.

Some failures are stepper motors, others might be self inflicted (stereo install errors can burn traces off the circuit board)

Straight up swaps are limited to certain year groups because of wiring differences in the middle of the production run.
If you wish to repin a bunch of wires, your options might widen to years 01-05....you can gain color choices......but watch out for units that don't come from cars that match your SRS system.

Is that true?
Mileage is stored in the cluster. If you purchase a replacement new or used cluster it would have to be sent to a speedo shop to have the odometer changed to reflect the actual mileage of your car....if you wish to keep the odometer accurate.

mine appears to be working for now but I do notice that my fuel gauge is not completely acurrate. So I'm worried this may happen to me soon. Any insight?
That could be a flaky sending unit in the tank.

Search this Thread