7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2005 Civic Ex overheating

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
djmorrison is an unknown quantity at this point
2005 Civic Ex overheating

I'm new to the group and new to repairing Honda civic's myself. A little over a month ago I had the radiator replaced and everything was running fine for about two weeks. I then noticed it starting to overheat again, while the car never hit the red line it went up to about 80% before it would drop back to normal levels. I noticed it was low on coolant so I added some 50/50 in there that mixed with other colors. Everything went back to normal until yesterday when it started to overheat again. I added a little bit more in this morning and since I am on the road it has started to overheat again, but when it goes above the 3/4 line the temp gauge starts coming back down. At this point right now I can let the car sit for about an hour because of some work that I can do. I believe it maybe the thermostat in the engine, but I am not an expert at all, but have an uncle that been working on Honda vehicles for many years. He's out of town and I need some advice.

the engine has 170000 miles on it. If there is anything else I need to add for information let me know.

Thanks!
Old 03-31-2017
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,126 Likes on 941 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all
Re: 2005 Civic Ex overheating

headgasket

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3...reference.html
Old 03-31-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
djmorrison is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks! That's not what I wanted to hear on a Friday, but I will get it over to my uncle ASAP.
Old 03-31-2017
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,126 Likes on 941 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Hopefully the head isn't warped, get a machine shop to check it out. use a honda headgasket. And you might as well throw a new timing belt on it since the old one has to come off, possibly the tensioner as well (again use honda parts)