7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

D17A (JDM) Oil Pan Size?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
obtrectation is an unknown quantity at this point
D17A (JDM) Oil Pan Size?

Hey folks, I just bought a 2005 Honda Civic EX Special Edition with a D17A (JDM) VTEC engine. The oil pan has a huge dent and I suspect it's causing the VVT code (sputtering past 4k RPM). Problem is, I can't find any documentation stating the correct oil pan size for this particular engine. Best I can tell it's steel, not aluminum. I appreciate any answers forthcoming. I need to place the order ASAP! Calls to local auto supply stores have been fruitless, apparently they don't know what a JDM engine is. A link to the appropriate oil pan and matching oil pan gasket would be super helpful too! Thanks again folks!

Last edited by obtrectation; 03-17-2017 at 02:00 AM. Reason: Clarification
Old 03-17-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: D17A (JDM) Oil Pan Size?

Best I can tell it's steel, not aluminum.
A cast aluminum pan would not be likely to dent, it would crack and break.
So your pan is probably steel. Stick a magnet to it to make sure.
Problem is, I can't find any documentation stating the correct oil pan size for this particular engine.
We don't reference size when looking up parts for a stock unit.

Calls to local auto supply stores have been fruitless, apparently they don't know what a JDM engine is
You're ordering parts all wrong.
Tell the parts store you have a 2005 Civic LX, (the engine in a stock LX is non-vtec and has a steel pan), sedan or coupe whichever you have, and whichever trans you have, etc..
Order an oil pan for it, along with a new pan gasket.

You may want some exhaust gaskets and maybe some hardware since the pipe has to come out from under the engine to get the pan off.

If the pan not in horrible shape, you might be able to pound out the dent and reinstall it with a fresh gasket?
OTOH If it's really bad you may discover the oil pump pickup tube damaged and needs replaced too.

Honda dealer catalog online, many dealers are online selling genuine parts at wholesale prices:

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=CIVIC&catcgry 2=2005&catcgry3=2DR+LX&catcgry4=KA4AT&catcgry5=CYL INDER+BLOCK+-+OIL+PAN