7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Oil in spark plugs!!!

Old 03-13-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
User 082322 is an unknown quantity at this point
Oil in spark plugs!!!

Hey guys so I just picked up a 02 civic 1.7l ex with the d17a2
I started going through it and doing basic maintenance after buying it used. When I pulled the plugs 2 out of the 4 had oil on them. The first one was just a little, but the last plug was covered!!! Even on the threads. Before I bought the car I complained about an oil leak, the seller took the car to a mechanic and they replaced the plug at the end with a new valve cover gasket... I just don't know if they replaced the tube seals...

I noticed the spark plug tubes are attached to the head so I cannot replace the lower tube seals like on the older accords and what not... what should I do? Thanks!! Any help is appreciated.
Old 03-14-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Oil in spark plugs!!!

The lip of the ring seal(s) probably got caught on top of the tube when someone mashed the valve cover down without cecking close.... look closely, maybe you can just use a small screwdriver to peel it around the tube and into the correct place.
Old 03-14-2017
Registered!!

Ok, I tried to use a flat head screw driver to slide the grommet down but it would just keep popping back out.
Old 03-14-2017

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

My guess was right?
Then you will have to unbolt and lift the valve cover a little to gain some clearance?
Old 03-14-2017
Registered!!

Well I didn't know this was a problem so I didn't check before taking it off the first time, but I noticed this when I tried putting it back on. I couldn't get the seal to go all the way around it. I put it back together without it sealing for now.
Old 03-14-2017

The lip of the seal should be pliable if the seal is not old.

It may have been mis-installed long enough to have taken on a bad shape though. Might need a new gasket set if that's the case.
Old 03-14-2017
Registered!!

Yeah. The valve gasket is new, the problem is I dono if they changed the tube seals, they are really soft and rubbery, they're not hard or stale so I feel like they may be new but I dono.
Old 03-14-2017

Old ones tend to harden so if they are still soft and rubbery as you say, then chances are they got replaced.

Could the rings have been installed upside down?
Old 03-14-2017

The direction the ring should go in--- looking at it after valve cover is removed:

(random google image)
Old 03-14-2017
Registered!!

Mine appear to be installed like the one in the picture. Ah man. I'm gunna have to pull it off and double check. This is why I hate mechanics, you never know what they did and didn't do.
Old 03-14-2017

Since the inside lip of the seal is tapered where it has to slide over the plug tubes.......If they were upside down then the lip would be facing the wrong way, it would not want to slip over the spark plug tubes at all.

I usually use a fingernail to help the lip work its way around the plug tubes as I'm installing the valve cover. If a fingernail isn't enough then a small pocket screwdriver to slide around the tubes and work the lip of the seal down around the top of the tube.

I think if the valve cover is bolted down there probably isn't enough clearance between the cover and the tube to work the seal down (it's caught or trapped in place), so you have to unbolt and lift the valve cover a little to gain some clearance

But like I said, if it was caught over the top of the tube and mashed into place it may not work right now.
Old 03-14-2017
Registered!!

Yeah, basically when I tried to slide it down the other side would pop up. I may just have to buy new ones cuz it's been bolted on for a few days now and it's probably pierced. Thanks guys! I'll report back once I complete it
Old 03-16-2017
Registered!!

Looks like the o rings weren't replaced, when I installed new ones it went on like a glove. I haven't gone for a test drive yet, but once I do I will re check for oil. I don't anticipate there being any. Hopefully.

Search this Thread