Transmission Post your issues with Transmissions here! Transmission covers from Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles.

02 civic auto trans stuck in 4th gear

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jacob Jones is an unknown quantity at this point
02 civic auto trans stuck in 4th gear

Drive light flashing non-stop.transmission light on. Replaced transmission speed sensor, now if car is turned off; when restarted drive light STAYS off until put into drive.when put into drive it starts flashing again..also as I said when put into drive it's always in 4th gear. Reverse and neutral and other gears work when MANUALLY_changed..thanks in advance!
Old 03-07-2017
Registered!!

tkcne is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 02 civic auto trans stuck in 4th gear

Name:  uchGHlh.png
Views: 87
Size:  13.8 KB

Could be material clogging the screens under those solenoids too.
Old 03-07-2017
Registered!!

Thanks for the help..considering some of these sensors and such are a little pricey, but obviously worth a try, what's my chances it's not something major? Transmission, or a gear gone out or something? Thanks again
Old 03-07-2017
Registered!!

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
NDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of light

Get the code to find out where the issue is. Don't throw parts at it.
Old 03-07-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Drive light flashing non-stop.
Fault codes.

transmission light on.
That's the Check Engine Light.

Read codes before wasting any more money.

If the scanner can't communicate with the car, that's a whole different problem.
Old 03-09-2017
Registered!!

Update: P0135 (bank 1 sensor 1) heater circuit malfunction...
P0753: shift solenoid valve A failure...
P1773: tcm A/V clutch pressure solenoid B circuit malfunction...
I should mention I found that my O2 sensor wires are all 4 cut , and I'm not sure how they go back since how they cut it( basically missing one of the two plastic connectors) and the wires on each end are different colors..thanks in advance again!!
Old 03-09-2017
Registered!!

Also should mention my heat works great, so not sure on that 1st code??...
Old 03-09-2017
Registered!!

These codes were VIA: Autozone
Old 03-09-2017

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jacob Jones
Update: P0135 (bank 1 sensor 1) heater circuit malfunction...
Also should mention my heat works great, so not sure on that 1st code??...
That sensor has its own internal heating element. It has nothing to do with the heater that keeps you warm LOL
I should mention I found that my O2 sensor wires are all 4 cut , and I'm not sure how they go back since how they cut it( basically missing one of the two plastic connectors) and the wires on each end are different
This wiring sounds like a problem, if exposed wires or terminals have contacted anything it could have caused electronic damage to the computer.

Did someone wire in a universal sensor and do this to the wiring in the process? (facepalm)

You could ohm test the heating circuit of the sensor to see if it is bad or out of spec....these cars don't like sensors that aren't exactly in spec. Always best to use the brand the factory installed originally. (it would have been either NTK or DENSO)

The sensor wire colors almost never match the colors in the cars harness. An accurate wire diagram or an identical car might be needed for reference.

P0753: shift solenoid valve A failure...
P1773: tcm A/V clutch pressure solenoid B circuit malfunction...
colors..thanks in advance again!!
Both codes are strictly electrical problems.....check for hacked wiring, rodent damage, etc.
Both problems happening together would make me thing you got critters that like chewing on wires.

All of these are down low in the front of the trans, wiring runs across the front then up......rodents LOVE wires.

If not wiring,
P0753, ohm check the valve (spec 12-25 ohm),
P1773, (Clutch pressure control valve B) ohm check (3-10 ohm)
Old 04-15-2017
Registered!!

Bad news guys.Please Help, I LOVE my Honda...
here goes; I've now replaced, clutch pressure solenoid($75), shift solenoid($250!!),dual linear solenoid ($110), oxygen sensor($55), abs sensor($50), oil pressure sensor($30), temperature control sensor($10)....guys I gotta be real here, I only paid $400 for the car, couldn't pass up a 02 civic for that, since I LOVE Honda's , and am pretty good with fixin my own car, but this has me totally stuck, I haven't had time to get another code Test done since I live 20plus miles from a auto parts store, but I've spent more in parts so far than I paid for the car, so unfortunately I CAN'T stop now and give up, I HAVE to figure this out on my own...
Old 04-15-2017
Registered!!

I forgot to even say what it's now doing...lol. same thing as before all them parts(( minus of course a few of the lights went off.. I now have the engine symbol, and flashing "d" lights only, so that's better than before...!!!but those two lights AREN'T even on until you take it down from park to drive!!! I can start the car and there's not 1 Bad light lit. Then put in reverse_still no flashing"d"!!!...Then back up however far_still no flashing "d"...Then put it in drive_ for a couple seconds I get no drive light at all, then a few seconds into pushing the gas peddle is when the "d" all of a sudden starts flashing and I can totally feel it go into that 4th gear...
Old 04-15-2017
Registered!!

I should also mention that I have looked and looked and looked for bad wiring, hoping like heck I'd find something, but I've had no such luck, and I have been looking as closely as possible since I have heard that checking very closely is very important
Old 04-15-2017
Registered!!

Me again sorry, I'm good with wiring and electronics ect..but kinda new to the ohm meter reader, can someone give me SPECIFIC directions how to check the wires coming into the different solenoid, sensors ext? Please,. Engine on,off, ect.?? I'm pretty darn sure all the sensors and solenoid are good, but not so sure their getting powered on or whatever...
Old 04-15-2017

I should also mention that I have looked and looked and looked for bad wiring, hoping like heck I'd find something, but I've had no such luck, and I have been looking as closely as possible since I have heard that checking very closely is very important
Staring at wires with your eyeballs isn't the same as testing integrity with correct tools.
Me again sorry, I'm good with wiring and electronics ect..but kinda new to the ohm meter reader, can someone give me SPECIFIC directions how to check the wires coming into the different solenoid, sensors ext? Please,. Engine on,off, ect.?? I'm pretty darn sure all the sensors and solenoid are good, but not so sure their getting powered on or whatever...
I'm going to strongly urge you to get a real service manual for your car, and follow troubleshooting guidelines in it.

This site has a thread full of links to online service manuals to download but beware most are international and don't always match up to US spec cars. You gotta be real careful.