7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Charging system problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rstowe is an unknown quantity at this point
Charging system problems

2005 Civic, The battery light stays on. Found the alternator to be loose. Alternator is now new and tight. Charges fine with no load but dies to 11-12 volts with AC and Headlights on. Sometimes the temp gauge will not work but if you shut it off and start back the gauge will then read where it should be. Any tests to narrow down what may be at fault?
Old 02-23-2017
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Charging system problems

Two issues may simply be coincidence. When I had a voltmeter in my car, the eld would maintain battery voltage between 11.9 and 14.2 volts, seemingly sporadically varying with electrical/engine load.

The gauge problem could be grounding or connectivity issues. I could be wrong, though. For clarification, that's the only gauge affected, yes? Speedo, fuel, tach (if you have one), odometer work without issue?
Old 02-24-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rstowe is an unknown quantity at this point

I've watched them all and that's the only one that will act up and it's not every time. It will not work on the way into town, cut it off, start it back up and it'll jump right to where it should be.
The voltage fluctuates just like that down to 11.8 or so and back up depending on load you put on it. I just don't understand why the charge indicator stays on ALL the time.
Old 02-24-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

The ELD system Honda has used for 3 decades acts real funny if you've never seen it in action. It can turn the charging system voltage up and down as it wants to, mostly for helping gain fuel economy.

I just don't understand why the charge indicator stays on ALL the time
With the engine running and the battery warning light on:
Disconnect the 4 wire plug from the alternator. Does the battery light turn off?