7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Can't find source of oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
honkeydonkey has a spectacular aura abouthonkeydonkey has a spectacular aura about
Can't find source of oil leak

2002 Civic EX w/217k miles 5speed

Hey guys, hopefully you'll be able to help me out on this...

I had my HG/TB/WP replaced about a year ago. They also replaced crank seal at the same time for good measure.

I had oil covering the drivers side of the oil pan slightly after, dripping onto the subframe, back of the AC compressor, and looking like it was also dripping from the bottom of the lower timing cover. However, I also noticed oil even as high as the PCV Valve. The shop replaced the oil pan and oil pan gasket and that didn't solve the problem.

My guess is the cam seal is bad. But i find it odd that i find the oil trailing from near the PCV, all the way down to the oil pan, AC compressor, Lower timing cover, electrical connectors near upper timing cover are also covered in oil.

I've heard the oil pump o-ring can go bad, but I am unsure as to where the oil would be coming from if that were the case. Thoughts?

Thanks guys
Old 02-23-2017
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,144 Likes on 799 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Can't find source of oil leak

Pull off timing covers and inspect there. That's where I'd start.
Old 02-23-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Can't find source of oil leak

Clean everything spotless, completely clean and dry, then spray a can of right guard or throw a bottle of bath talc all over the areas you saw oil, the powder will help to make any leak trails more obvious.

Now drive it, then come back...and (If it has leaked) look for where the oil leak might originate, the new trail through the powder should show the way.