7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Oil Leak

Old 02-18-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
0396 is an unknown quantity at this point
Oil Leak

My 2004 Civic that has 178k on it has developed a engine oil leak. Too it to the shop and they looked at it and mentioned that there's up to 7 seals on the engine. ... not sure exactly what seals, as family members is the one that took it in.
The estimated is $200+ to replace all these engine oil seals....

Is this legitimate?
I appreciate an response as I'm not in town to evaluate. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
Old 02-18-2017
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Oil Leak

so basically the shop was unable to determine the source of the leak, so they just want to replace everything and hope it solves the problem?

you need to take the car to somebody who is able to pin point exactly what is leaking,

also, there is NO WAY replacing every possible oil sealing gasket only costs $200 bucks, it would be WAY MORE then that!

edit.....i just saw the + after the $200, so that basically means they can charge you however much they feel like
Old 02-18-2017
Registered!!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
guitarsnlikker is an unknown quantity at this point

just to replace the one O ring seal in the oil pump which is one of the more common leak sites multiple parts have to be removed to get to it, it takes time. Someone could easily charge 600$++ just to do that one.
You might want to invest a little time and research it yourself. There are some common leak sites that can be fixed relatively cheap e.g. cam plug seal, valve cover gasket. Good luck.
Old 02-18-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Shop is correct, there are many different gaskets and whatnot that a may be prime suspects. At that mileage, ALL rubber gaskets are suspect if original.

If the leak evidence starts up high ---for example at the valve cover, then it may have soaked everything below that area.....making it difficult to pinpoint any other leak sources.....even someone spilling oil when filling may end up looking like a leak from below.

Might be best to thoroughly clean the engine area so one can see where fresh leaks originate.....or pick the most likely suspects in the areas where puddles form on the floor?

Common leak points:
180k...oil pump reseal is usually needed by this time
VTEC valve reseal (2 gaskets, one is not easy to buy unless you research here)
Cam plug
Valve cover gasket set
Front cam seal
Front crank seal
Rear crank seal
Oil pan reseal
Oil filter has a gasket that can leak
Oil pressure switch

Oil loss without leaks--piston rings and valve stem seals

Plus transmission items that leak ATF
Old 02-18-2017

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by guitarsnlikker
Someone could easily charge 600$++ just to do that one.
Or spending over 600 to NOT fix the leak.

Most mechanics aren't going to know about the oil pump O ring unless they are familiar with the engine.....

I've seen some that were sold a timing belt job with replacing the front seals to fix an oil leak, but overlooked the oil pump leak....now it's gonna take another 800 (random $) for me to fix that leak. "Oh, you've already spent all your money with another shop?"

(FWIW, I've seen the scenario happen in our shop too.)
Old 02-19-2017
Registered!!

0396 is an unknown quantity at this point

Guys, thanks for such a detailed description of possible areas of oil leak. Since I've never wrench on this Civic of mine- other than oil /trans fluid changes. I never knew there's a possibility of an oil pump seal. Since Im not in town, looks like a call is in order to the shop.
Thanks again for all your help/ suggestions.
Old 02-19-2017

Handy pics of oil pump reseal job:

Name:  rklOkGV.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  718.6 KBName:  vzEbGxZ.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  4.35 MB
Old 02-19-2017
Registered!!

tkcne is an unknown quantity at this point

I replaced all the ones except the rear main as a part of a timing belt job, including the oil pump, in hopes of fixing a mysterious leak. Turned out it was the VTEC gasket which is also the easiest to get to. If you're going to throw parts at it, I'd start there.

Search this Thread