7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

2005 honda civic over heating

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05civichonda is an unknown quantity at this point
2005 honda civic over heating

My car recently started over heating so I replaced the thermostat yesterday and drove it around. It was fine till today it started over heating again but once I stepped on the gas all the way and let of it would go back to normal temp. I looked under the hood and found radiator fluid splattered on the hood and battery but can find no leaks. What could be the problem?
Old 02-02-2017
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,122 Likes on 937 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all
Re: 2005 honda civic over heating

Head Gasket

Click this and read:
https://www.civicforums.com/forums/3...reference.html
Old 02-02-2017
Registered!!

Thanks Collin I looked at the link and it sounds exactly like the problem I'm having
Old 02-02-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

and found radiator fluid splattered on the hood and battery but can find no leaks.
Fluid was forced out of the overflow bottle.

Needs a head gasket job.
Old 02-03-2017
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ezone
Fluid was forced out of the overflow bottle.

Needs a head gasket job.
i thought we were going to a set a new record for overheating/head gasket threads,

its been how long now?.....a whole week since one has been started?
Old 02-03-2017
Registered!!

sf170089 is an unknown quantity at this point

Are you sure that your radiator is still okay? I had some major overheating issues too and ended up with radiator fluid all over the engine. See this:

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/1...erheating.html

The initial cause ended up being a busted radiator. While the car was at idle, everything seemed just fine. I thought the radiator was okay. After continually losing fluid, I figured I was missing something. So, I pressure tested the cooling system and it was leaking like crazy. The leak was at the seam of the plastic and metal, so it was very difficult to see. I would hate for you to replace the head gasket only to overheat again and end up having to replace it again.

To pressure test the system, I did the loaner tool program from Advance Auto. You can buy the Powerbuilt Tools Cooling System Pressure Kit (22 Piece) #940427 and then return it for a full refund when you are done.

I am not sure if others agree with taking this step. But, it is free and it takes all of about 15 minutes to do. So, I figure it cannot hurt.
Old 02-04-2017
Registered!!

Okay guys here's a new update it turned out to be just the hose clamps that needed to be replaced. I since then replaced them all and it hasn't over heated since. I guess I got lucky?
Old 02-04-2017

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 05civichonda
but can find no leaks.
Okay guys here's a new update it turned out to be just the hose clamps that needed to be replaced. I since then replaced them all and it hasn't over heated since. I guess I got lucky?
So there WAS a leak?

Drive it several hundred miles and keep an eye on what the fluid level in the plastic reservoir does, before you say it's all good!
Old 03-02-2017
Registered!!

UPDATE: it no longer over heats I had to replace the cooling fan sensor but now I have a different problem. When the car is in park it idles rough I took it to get checked but no codes came up for misfiring. I replaced all spark plugs and that didn't seem to help. What else can I try to resolve this problem?
Old 03-03-2017

When the car is in park it idles rough
What are you calling rough?
Lopes? Misses? Vibrates? Noises?

I took it to get checked
What did the mechanic say about the "idles rough"?

but no codes came up for misfiring.
What codes does it have?
Old 03-03-2017
Registered!!

Originally Posted by ezone
What are you calling rough?
Lopes? Misses? Vibrates? Noises?

What did the mechanic say about the "idles rough"?

What codes does it have?

Has no codes at all and the car vibrates roughly.
Old 03-03-2017

and the car vibrates roughly.
Quote:
I took it to get checked
What did the mechanic say about it? He's the one who had the opportunity to experience the problem in person.

I can only guess at things from my recliner. Motor mount(s)?