7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Air filters

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MamaBear2015 is an unknown quantity at this point
Air filters

I was just looking to see what was available in air filters, that would offer the most amount of surface area ( pleats? ) for not too much more money, and found this page:

http://www.autoanything.com/air-filters/50A7A117A1.aspx

Simple and inexpensive performance enhancing air filters? But are the HEPA? They say cloth and foam, but that doesn't sound as good as paper ones that are HEPA?

I've also heard that, to get performance gains without reduced gas mileage, the exhaust diameter and volume must also be increased, and THAT involves exhaust manifold changes, dual exhaust systems and can really cost some money?

I don't have much money, and am primarily interested in doing the best I can with a better air filter that can pass more air.
Old 01-29-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Air filters

A dirty air filter does not reduce fuel economy in modern fuel injected engines!
(It only took the EPA about three decades to admit this fact.)

Save more money, wait until it is so dirty it is affecting performance. (A dirty air filter traps finer particles than a clean new filter anyway)

Just buy a stock replacement air filter if you really need one. I'd prefer cloth over paper, better particle filtration efficiency protects the engine. I also prefer Hondas filters over many of the cheaply made aftermarket offerings.

The concerns about HEPA is not relevant to filtering engine air.
That's only for the cabin filters in the HVAC system, yours uses a pair of them. There are some good ones available through parts stores, look for something saying activated charcoal. Pretty simple DIY.

I've also heard that, to get performance gains without reduced gas mileage, the exhaust diameter and volume must also be increased, and THAT involves exhaust manifold changes, dual exhaust systems and can really cost some money?
Any money you waste on a performance exhaust would purchase an awful lot of gasoline.

If you don't get that blown head gasket problem fixed soon, you won't have to worry about air filters or fuel economy in this car at all.