7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

What is wrong with my gauge cluster

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dangdashlights is an unknown quantity at this point
What is wrong with my gauge cluster

I bought a 7th gen (2002) civic. At night, I noticed the RPM gauge is half lit up, the speedometer and that whole side of the gauge cluster was dark.

I asked a mechanic to check it out while he is doing some other minor work on the car. He tells me it needs new bulbs, so I decide I'll change them myself and take my car back from them.

On my way home I test the lights, but now the whole damn cluster has gone dark. I still have my status lights, but the gauges are all completely dark.

I recently bought some bulbs and swapped them out, but whatever I try nothing seems to work. I don't know if the bulbs are going in the wrong way around or what, but every time I try to move my brand new bulbs around they still don't light up.

Here are some pictures to explain things:Name:  aRTOYRg.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  87.1 KB

Name:  LsrTV6y.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  604.9 KB

Image one is just to show which lights I am talking about, the status lights like the indicators and check engine lights all work, it's just the gauges that are dark.

Image 2 is what the wiring looks like, there is a pin inserted in slot 16 and I have no idea why. The car has an aftermarket stereo, and I've heard problems can arise when you mess with that kind of thing so I think the previous owner had to short one of the wires to make the radio work. I don't know if this is causing any problems.

I can take a picture of the cluster lit up if it helps find the issue, but the image I posted above should hopefully make it clear what I mean. It's just the damn dials that are dark (the backlighting).