Electronics Post your electronic questions here!

Power locks don't work

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
THF40 is an unknown quantity at this point
Power locks don't work

I don't know anything about cars and I am hoping this is a simple fix that I can do it myself.

2005 Honda Civic EX Sedan.
- Driver door locks work w/keyless entry(it locks and unlocks)
- Remaining three doors (passenger door, the two read side doors) do not respond to the keyless entry (does not lock or unlock)

What could be the problem??
Where do I start?

I don't want my kids to freeze while waiting for me to open the doors.

Please help!
Old 12-15-2016
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Power locks don't work

Do they lock when all doors closed and you use the key in the door ?

Do they work if you sit in the car all doors closed and use the lock/unlock on the doors.
Old 12-15-2016
Registered!!

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
NDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of light

Pressing the key FOB unlock button twice in a row unlocks ALL door locks just in case you did not know this.
Old 12-15-2016
Registered!!

RIPSAW has a spectacular aura aboutRIPSAW has a spectacular aura about

I have had to replace all my actuators on my 2005 CR-V twice. First time was with $10-$15 China pars on ebay that looked just like original but only lasted about a year.
When the drivers door power lock went, it did not quite move far enough and it somehow did affect the other since it is a little different with wires going to both connectors. The others have two connections but usual one is blank.

This is just for a picture...Get OEM from a dealer on line if they are your problem.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Power-Do...5SnpXr&vxp=mtr
Old 12-16-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by CraigW
Do they lock when all doors closed and you use the key in the door ?

Do they work if you sit in the car all doors closed and use the lock/unlock on the doors.
All doors has to be open/closed manually other than the door on the driver side.

I have tried sitting inside opening/closing the doors with my keyless, only the driver door responds.

My door ont he driver side will unlock but wont lock now .....
Old 12-16-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by NDNV
Pressing the key FOB unlock button twice in a row unlocks ALL door locks just in case you did not know this.
Yup, I know pressing unlock twice opens all doors. No matter how many times i press unlock only the driver door unlocks.

Other than the driver door, none of my doros will respond to my keyless when i press the unlock unbutton. I have to manually open each door other than the driver door.
Old 12-16-2016
Registered!!

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
I have had to replace all my actuators on my 2005 CR-V twice. First time was with $10-$15 China pars on ebay that looked just like original but only lasted about a year.
When the drivers door power lock went, it did not quite move far enough and it somehow did affect the other since it is a little different with wires going to both connectors. The others have two connections but usual one is blank.

This is just for a picture...Get OEM from a dealer on line if they are your problem.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Power-Do...5SnpXr&vxp=mtr
This is exactly what is happening. The power lock does not quite move far enough to fully unlock but still unlocks the door. Only the door on the driver side responds when i press the unlock button. The other three remains locks and i have to manually lock/unlock them.

Is there any other way finding out if i have to replace all actuators?
Old 12-16-2016
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,126 Likes on 941 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

yep by actually taking stuff apart and testing it, check for power and ground coming to the actuator from the connector, ohm test the actuator as well. I had to replace 3 of the actuators on my last 05.
Old 12-16-2016
Registered!!

RIPSAW has a spectacular aura aboutRIPSAW has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by THF40
This is exactly what is happening. The power lock does not quite move far enough to fully unlock but still unlocks the door. Only the door on the driver side responds when i press the unlock button. The other three remains locks and i have to manually lock/unlock them.

Is there any other way finding out if i have to replace all actuators?
Manually pull up on the inside latch to get that lever in full open. Does that help? I know when I realized mine was doing that, the Non OEM part that I had replaced in the driver's door was already failing again within a year. I could manual pull up on the latch and the others would work. It also seem to work OK in hot weather. Anyway, I replaced it again with OEM and all worked. If you hit the door lock most of the time twice to open all doors, my guess is all four will need replaced before long unless they are made better then my 2005 CRV . I know they look different.
Old 10-02-2020
Registered!!

jdille21 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by THF40
I don't know anything about cars and I am hoping this is a simple fix that I can do it myself.

2005 Honda Civic EX Sedan.
- Driver door locks work w/keyless entry(it locks and unlocks)
- Remaining three doors (passenger door, the two read side doors) do not respond to the keyless entry (does not lock or unlock)

What could be the problem??
Where do I start?

I don't want my kids to freeze while waiting for me to open the doors.

Please help!
Hi THF40,

Did you ever get an answer on this? I have the same problem. How did you go about fixing it?
Old 10-02-2020
Super Moderator

Received 1,848 Likes on 1,300 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of

Are you hitting the unlock button multiple times? Pressing it once only unlocks the driver door.
Old 10-04-2020
Registered!!

jdille21 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BrotatoChip
Are you hitting the unlock button multiple times? Pressing it once only unlocks the driver door.
Yes, multiple times. Only the driver's door works. The other doors don't.
Old 10-05-2020
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,126 Likes on 941 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

So test for power and ground at the actuator.
Can also swap in a different actuator to test