7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

2003 Civic LX starts and dies

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MckenzieP123 is an unknown quantity at this point
2003 Civic LX starts and dies

My 2003 Civic EX starts up, sounds horrible, drops rpms, sometimes backfires once right before it dies. The fuel pump and filter are working fine. Also smells like gas if I start it a couple times. I have no clue what is wrong with it I've never seen this with a car before. Please help lol
Old 12-10-2016
Registered!!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
mikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of lightmikey1 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: 2003 Civic LX starts and dies

check timing belt / timing marks, do the line up?
Old 12-10-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Got fault codes?

Loud rapid rattle? From the timing covers?
Does it run for 2 seconds then die? (belt out of time or tensioner spring broke?)
Old 12-14-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ineedhelp is an unknown quantity at this point

i just got a 2002 civic sedan its automatic. The car shuts off randomly after reaching 50 kilometers per hour. Does anyone know what could be wrong with it? p.s i dont know alot about cars im youtube educated
Old 12-14-2016
Registered!!

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
NDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of lightNDNV is a glorious beacon of light

Do you have any codes stored and a Check Engine Light on? What lights are on in the dash when this occurs?

Possible causes are: failing main fuel relay, faulty electrical portion of the ignition switch (there was a recall for some Civics 1999 to 2000 IIRC), and a failing alternator. Also check for bad connections at the battery.