7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

Head Gasket Issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2016
Registered!!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
manfredww1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Head Gasket Issue

I have a 2002 Honda Civic EX with 150K miles. I took it to a shop because the car is overheating when I turn on the heater. I thought it was because of a restricted radiator. They did a block test or carbon dioxide test and determined I had a blown head gasket. I am weary because my car does not overheat unless the heater is on....or maybe I am just not running it long enough. It does not blow white smoke and I do not have a white film under my oil cap. I do have an issue with acceleration about certain low RPMs (I am not certain of this exactly). The car does hesitate when I accelerate or goes into a seizure until I let off the accelerator then it stops. My questions are if have a blown head gasket or if it could be something else? What could be causing the acceleration seizure and what can I do with the car? Thanks
Old 12-04-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Head Gasket Issue

Originally Posted by manfredww1
I have a 2002 Honda Civic EX with 150K miles. I took it to a shop because the car is overheating when I turn on the heater. I thought it was because of a restricted radiator. They did a block test or carbon dioxide test and determined I had a blown head gasket. I am weary because my car does not overheat unless the heater is on....or maybe I am just not running it long enough. It does not blow white smoke and I do not have a white film under my oil cap.

My questions are if have a blown head gasket or if it could be something else?
Read everything in the first post here:

https://www.civicforums.com/forums/36-mechanical-problems-vehicle-issues-fix-forum/340759-overheating-mysterious-coolant-loss-common-causes-reference.html

I do have an issue with acceleration about certain low RPMs (I am not certain of this exactly). The car does hesitate when I accelerate or goes into a seizure until I let off the accelerator then it stops.

What could be causing the acceleration seizure and what can I do with the car?
Got CEL on?
Got fault codes?

"seizure"....car has Epilepsy?