7th Generation Civic 2001 - 2005 In the years from 2001 to 2005 Honda released it's 7th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EM2, ES1, EP3, EU1

AC roller locked up, simply replace compressor?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Inkubus is an unknown quantity at this point
AC roller locked up, simply replace compressor?

Hey guys,
Couple months ago the roller in my AC compressor locked up while out of town. Bearing had gone bad. Unplugged it, took it out, put a bearing and roller from another junked compressor on it so I could get home.

My cousin works at a shop and said he would help me. He ordered a full kit w/ exp valve and accumulator. Said he would help vacuum the lines and install. My question is, is all of that necessary for a bad bearing? My cousin is ignoring me now. Idk why he's being a dick but I guess he doesn't want to help.

Is a bad bearing a situation where debris would have been exploded into the lines? Or is the only thing necessary to do is replace the compressor?
Old 12-04-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: AC roller locked up, simply replace compressor?

If the compressor itself was not bad, my preference is to keep the original unit going as long as possible. Aftermarket usually only sells a complete compressor, usually of dubious quality.

Honda sells the pulley and clutch outer plate as a set, and the field coil. Both are sold separate from the compressor. This is my preferred repair whenever possible.

You could get the short alternator belt for a DX without AC, and bypass the compressor altogether.
Old 12-04-2016
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Inkubus is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks. I am going to need AC as I am moving to Arizona soon. Otherwise I would have just bypassed as you said. The original unit's wires are cut up so I won't be able to use it.

My main concern is the debris in the lines. I admit I don't know much about AC compressors and stuff, but I can't imagine how a ****ed up bearing on a pulley would send metal debris into AC tubes?
Old 12-04-2016
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

The pulley and electrical stuff is completely separate from the freon and pump parts of the compressor. They are external, not internal.

On a 7th gen, I can replace the pulley/clutch/coil without unbolting the compressor from the engine.